Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while i was cleaning my windshield, i got so excited and i accidentally hit my Rearview mirror and i broke it :banghead: .....so the question is how to properly glue it back ???

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I used this when my mirror fell and it's still on tight :).

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I used that kit and it lasted a week...but that was on a John Deere Gator and I off-roaded it a lot more than I ever do my Jeep...but yeah, follow the instructions to a T with one of those kits and you should be good.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Don't feel bad, my wife was sitting in the passenger seat one day, grabbed the rearview mirror and pulled it over twords her so she could see herself for some vain reason, and the mirror came off in her hand. I used that same kit that IslandTJ mentioned. if the mirror wasn't exactly where you liked it before, now is the time to adjust it. I'm 6'2" and the mirror always seemed alittle low for me, so when I reglued the mirror mount, I put it alittle higher, now it's perfect for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't feel bad, my wife was sitting in the passenger seat one day, grabbed the rearview mirror and pulled it over twords her so she could see herself for some vain reason, and the mirror came off in her hand. I used that same kit that IslandTJ mentioned. if the mirror wasn't exactly where you liked it before, now is the time to adjust it. I'm 6'2" and the mirror always seemed alittle low for me, so when I reglued the mirror mount, I put it alittle higher, now it's perfect for me.
I always felt the same, i'm 6'1" , but i'm worried about the old glue , does the scratcher in the kit really works ?

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Okay let me say something because I did this, i glued the metal tab on backwards (not upside down) make certain you have it on right because if you use that windshield glue right it will NOT come back off.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've had mine fall off 3 times in the past year. Most recently yesterday, and just while I was motoring down the street, no bumps. I've used the Permatex kit as illustrated, and I think I'm prepping and cleaning as well as possible. I don't know what to do, that's a heavy mirror. I'll just glue it on again, I guess.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
village idiot said:
I've had mine fall off 3 times in the past year. Most recently yesterday, and just while I was motoring down the street, no bumps. I've used the Permatex kit as illustrated, and I think I'm prepping and cleaning as well as possible. I don't know what to do, that's a heavy mirror. I'll just glue it on again, I guess.
My body shop guy (good friend of mine) told me 99% of people do not use those kits right, he said my problem is I used the kit right but put the tab backwards

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
One more thing I finally learned with such kits is to not use too much superglue. You'd think more is good but not in the case with superglue. I had repeated failures trying to glue my wife's mirror on many years ago and I finally figured out I was using too much superglue which kept making it fall off within hours or days at the most.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I used a super heavy duty type kit once, I had it a little crooked. Tried to pop it off to realign it. It came off and took a nice circle of the glass with it. 2 week old windshield on the wifes BMW. She was not pleased.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I used this when my mirror fell and it's still on tight :).
used this same thing and its been on there for the last couple months and multiple wheeling days...works great if you do it right

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I always felt the same, i'm 6'1" , but i'm worried about the old glue , does the scratcher in the kit really works ?
I used the razor to clean the old glue off the windshield, and the mount then scuffed up both surfaces, and cleaned them with the alcohol wipe, let it dry, and marked the windshield with dry erase marker on where I wanted the the mirror mount to go, then I just put a small amount of glue on the mount and let it spread for a few seconds b4 I put it up to the glass. then held it in place for a minute. and let it cure for 24 hours before I put the mirror back on. it's been on for about a year. The wife doesn't mess with it anymore.:thumb:

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
The Mopar stuff works great.Ive used it on several different vehicles

1 - 19 of 19 Posts