Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why Jeep gives all wranglers a slight rake in the front? Is there any real benefit from this? Most people either put a lift on their wrangler or at a minimum a leveling kit to get rid of the rake. I just don't understand why they come from Jeep that way. :confused:

·
Registered
221 Posts
Because the weight on the front is pretty much constant, load up with gear and people plus trailer tongue weight over the rear axle, it will level itself.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1. If you put weight in the back, tow, or passengers, you don't want a saggy rear

2. It looks much better. When the rockers are level, the rear gives the illusion of sagging.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick answers!

·
Registered
184 Posts
As soon as hitch up to a trailer the rake is gone, even with light tongue weights. I won't level mine because I don't want my headlights pointed up while towing.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I actually like the rake.

I also wonder if fuel economy comes into play?

·
Registered
952 Posts
The rake is also due to aerodynamics. Wind will travel easier up the rake.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Most people either put a lift on their wrangler or at a minimum a leveling kit to get rid of the rake. I just don't understand why they come from Jeep that way. :confused:
Most just leave it stock and most wouldn't even know what you are talking about if you mentioned it. Don't forget that this is a small specific sample size on here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Most just leave it stock and most wouldn't even know what you are talking about if you mentioned it. Don't forget that this is a small specific sample size on here.

^^^ That's me! What is a rake? :hide:

·
Registered
725 Posts
^^^ That's me! What is a rake? :hide:

1. An implement consisting of a pole with a crossbar toothed like a comb at the end, or with several tines held together by a crosspiece,...
  2. A fashionable or wealthy man of dissolute or promiscuous habits. :whistling:
Oh yeah, when your Jeep is lower in the front than in the back (specifically, the angle of slope down from back to front).

·
Registered
574 Posts
Can anyone tell me why Jeep gives all wranglers a slight rake in the front? Is there any real benefit from this? Most people either put a lift on their wrangler or at a minimum a leveling kit to get rid of the rake. I just don't understand why they come from Jeep that way. :confused:
What was said before and,

Also, most coil lifts that level the jeep usually are stiffer and can hold up weight without sagging and inverting the rake. Specially progressive or dual rate coils, they tend to hold up better under weight.

Putting spacers with stock coils is just asking to have the front higher when loading it up.

·
Registered
996 Posts
As soon as hitch up to a trailer the rake is gone, even with light tongue weights. I won't level mine because I don't want my headlights pointed up while towing.
The headlight that came from the factory are junk you'll never know the difference.
My jeeps sits level and with 500lbs of tong weight it's still level.

The rake is for a small since of some aerodynamics , wind flow, gas mileage.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Everyone says aerodynamics - I want to see some math/modeling. Consider the following -

1.) Tilting the Jeep forward means the windshield's effectively tilts INTO the prevailing wind and actually makes the aerodynamics of the windshield worse.

2.) Likewise for the grill, though that is fairly up right - more upright = worse.

3.) Putting the a$$ end of the Jeep into the air effectively increases the Jeep's cross sectional area - which, again, makes aerodynamics worse.

Lets be honest thought - the aerodynamics are terrible, period. I need to hit around 60 mph to even move rain drops on my hood - otherwise the massive disturbance of air from the grill prevents the air flow from affecting them. Having turbulent air from the grill brush the hood lightly enroute to smacking straight into the upright windshield = suck. Making the grill/windshield more upright, in my mind, = more suck. I'd actually like to see this modeled - JK in a wind tunnel!

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It's a band aid for Corporate Average Fuel Economy. No matter how much you tilt a brick it's still a brick. I don't mind the "rake".

·
Registered
344 Posts
It has to do with steering and road control with rear wheel drive vehicles. You have to have more weight on the front wheels or you will lose traction going around corners at higher speeds and in slippery conditions. The lower to the ground a vehicle is the better the center of gravity, the higher the vehicle, the vehicle is more likely to tip and roll when in an accident. The rake moves the center if gravity foward. Rake is more pronounced in rear wheel drive vehicles but is still present in AWD and front wheel drive for aerodynamics and added traction.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Besides giving the vehicle some squat room in the rear for the added weight of passangers and stuff, the aerodynamic plus would be, by lowering the hight in the front, you reduce airflow under the vehicle. A couple of inches, along with that airdam (that's what it's there for), reduces the amount of turbulant (drag creating) airflow under the dirtiest (meaning dragiest) part of the vehicle.
That's why sporty cars have low front airdams, side skirts and even air flow devices on the underside in the rear. A ton of drag on the underside.
Obviously, on a Jeep it's like putting a bandaid on a severed artery but, every little bit is worth a little bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts