Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new nv3550 for my 2000 tj. What is a reasonable price? I'm in Ct and I've been looking for a long time now. Those of you in CT where would you go to find one, or where have you found one?

·
Registered
70 Posts
nv3550

I just got one on from a jeep yard up north, they sell on ebay a lot also.I got one with 70,000 on it for 450 shipped to me here in Fl which was a good deal.I had the mechanic also replace the clutch kit and surface the flywheel.The rear engine seal was ok so he left it alone.He charged 350 to do the install plus 70 for doing the flywheel .I will try to get a phone # for the Jeep yard.They might have another trans.They had to pull the one I got.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would go with the 6 speed its a much better trans ,make sure the transfer case and drive shafts and crossmember innerchange. I bought the nv3550 from Jeeps unlimited in Rhode Island.Their number is 401-273-oneeightsixzero.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The six speed will bolt right up but you will need the fly wheel from a six speed and a whole new clutch disc and pressure plate. The input shafts are totaly different. I went from a 6 speed to a five speed in my 06 2.4L. Also the clutch slave clyinder is slightly shorter on the 6spd. Your better off just putting a 5spd back in. Way less work.
Trust me I've done it... How ever for me it was worth it. The 6spd was not a good transmission on my 2.4L. The 5spd is much much better!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I hadn't heard about needing the flywheel, just the clutch kit, pilot bushing and extend the ckp harness. Why would you need a new flywheel? Just curious. And the solution I've seen to the slave cyl is to either space it out just slightly or use the 05-06 one.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The input shaft on the 6spd is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the one on the five speed. Also it uses what's called a dual-mass fly wheel. And pilot bearing is pressed right into the fly wheel the end of the input shaft rests In the flywheel and opposed to the end of the crank shaft where your current tranny does

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. Most of the salvage yards around CT want like $750 for a used one and like $1200 for a rebuilt. I just want to find a decent used one that I can just change myself. There has to be one somewhere for a reasonable $500ish price. The jeep is 12 years old I have a hard time accepting $750.

·
Read Only
2,599 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Most of the salvage yards around CT want like $750 for a used one and like $1200 for a rebuilt. I just want to find a decent used one that I can just change myself. There has to be one somewhere for a reasonable $500ish price. The jeep is 12 years old I have a hard time accepting $750.
I wish you were closer, I have a low mileage Nv3550 thats about to come out. I thought the change from my old ax15 to this one was a HUGE imrovement! I am letting it go to do something I never thought I would do...im going auto. I just picked up a AW4...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts