Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a few posts referencing the Hummer (The REAL Hummer you know the M998 not those Mall Crawler H series trucks.) and constantly seeing those nice Iron Planet ads all over Facebook I figured I'd come here and post a few reasons why one should choose the YJ over those "$2,000" M998s.

1. Price: See those $2,000 M998s aren't really what you think... You can get a running, driving, and workable YJ for around 2-2500 but those M998s wellllll in a word no. Understand yes some of them can be had for 2 grand but they aren't sold like regular vehicles they are auctioned and the bidding starts at 2 grand. The ones that run normally go for anywhere from 10-17 grand, those 2 grand fellers are usually bone yard specials meaning they are missing most of the parts you want your Humvee to have stuff like the engine, transmission, roof, doors, hubs, differentials, and so on.

2. Maintenance: ok this one is two fold on the one hand, They are about equal most of the time in that neither one has really been properly maintained. M998s occasionally go through a process we call RESET this ,in theory, means they go to a Brigade shop and get totally torn down and lovingly reassembled. In reality, however, they go off to the Brigade shop and are worked on by those dumb enough to volunteer and those unlucky enough to be voluntold. Normally these guys aren't mechanics, they're cooks, grunts, tankers, or whatever they could get a hold of. So they really don't know what they're doing and their idea of fixing a leak is spraying a slightly heavier coat of CARC (that nice OD or tan paint with saw dust in it) over the area where the leak is. YJ's are much the same, POs do weird things with wiring, things are mismatched, leaks are sealed with bath tub caulk, and the motto " If you can't Duck it, F*%$ it." takes on a life all its own.
Now, where's the differences you ask? Well availability and prices. Say you wanna lift your M998, be prepared to shell out more than some YJs cost. Think a detuned 6.2 or a 6.5 will use Duramax parts? Ha!! No. Want new tires? Good luck those 16.5s are expensive. Brain box give up the ghost? Better hope you can find one somewhere and pray that it actually works. Meanwhile those YJ owners are going to Quadratec or Morris 4x4 and ordering enough parts to build another YJ from scratch.

3. History: They really are the same here too. Some may say well the M998 has a more complete history with its collection of 2404s and 5988E's, dispatches, and hand receipts but really this don't tell you a whole lot. It will tell you what problems it had, who fixed them, how they fixed it, where it was, who it was signed out by, and what unit had it. However, it doesn't tell you that Private Snuffy once jumped a creek in it trying to impress the new supply girl, it doesn't tell you who actually drove it. Just because it's dispatched to someone on doesn't mean 40 other guys didn't drive it (and they were probably much, much harder on it than the guy that signed for it. Because of ancient military truth "If I am not signed for it, then I cannot get in trouble for breaking it.") YJs have Carfax. Sometimes it's right and sometimes there are glaring omissions.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Unless you need one for combat/severe offroad hauling, or as a collectable military vehicle, they are white elephants that will allow you to hang with the "truck nutz" crowd.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Been to a couple outfitters that have them for taking clients to and from the field..work well for that type of use..6 or so months of occasional use...and the serviced and parked the other 6....wouldn't wanna drive one everyday.

·
Super Moderator
12,697 Posts
I drove a brand new civilian Hummer on the dealers "torture track".
While it seemed to be a capable vehicle, the true test was I asked my wide "Do you want to drive it"?
She said "No'.
"Why Not"? says me.
"It's too big to park".

Then I thought, Hmmm, this monster isn't going to fit on a lot of the mountain trails and shelf roads here in Colorado. Some of the "roads" to abandoned mines or ghost tows will barely accommodate a Jeep.

My next door neighbor tore up the outside of his beadlocks (on a JKU) in Moab going through a narrow cut. A Hummer would have to go back. My YJ would have scampered through without a scratch.
I have a bit under $10K invested in my Jeep and it can go anywhere I care to go and probably lots of places that are too much work for these old bones.
At $10K, and my YJ, I'm pretty much done.
At $10K in a M998, a guy is just beginning.

If anyone thinks a YJ is a money pit, he can try to bring a military Hummer back to life.
The YJ will be a bargain.

Just my $00.02.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh it isn't just the cost to bring your $2000 gubmint auction special hummer back to life it's everything else too.... 7mpg on diesel, certain things have to be replaced yearly or you could end up stranded, and really they don't hold up under combat use too well either especially the 11 series up armored trucks. They have just enough parts commonality with civilian diesels to give you hope then you discover the stuff that goes out most often are the parts that take forever to find.

Then there's the cost to be in the HMMWV club. I was in a few HMMWV groups on facespace annnnd well they kinda look down on Jeeps but that's just the rich kid in highschool thing. Most of em can't even wrench on their own rig.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove a brand new civilian Hummer on the dealers "torture track".
While it seemed to be a capable vehicle, the true test was I asked my wide "Do you want to drive it"?
She said "No'.
"Why Not"? says me.
"It's too big to park".

Then I thought, Hmmm, this monster isn't going to fit on a lot of the mountain trails and shelf roads here in Colorado. Some of the "roads" to abandoned mines or ghost tows will barely accommodate a Jeep.

My next door neighbor tore up the outside of his beadlocks (on a JKU) in Moab going through a narrow cut. A Hummer would have to go back. My YJ would have scampered through without a scratch.
I have a bit under $10K invested in my Jeep and it can go anywhere I care to go and probably lots of places that are too much work for these old bones.
At $10K, and my YJ, I'm pretty much done.
At $10K in a M998, a guy is just beginning.

If anyone thinks a YJ is a money pit, he can try to bring a military Hummer back to life.
The YJ will be a bargain.

Just my $00.02.

Good Luck, L.M.
Yeah you do need a ground guide to park em in tight spots, they really don't have enough power especially the detuned 6.2s, and if it ain't leaking every fluid it has there just ain't any in it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember getting issued a brand spankin new 1151 in 06-07 overseas still had plastic on all the seats. I started my inspection underneath and what do I find? Both diffs and the transfer case seeping oil. Oh and one more thing interesting trivia. If you ever wanna check and see if that H1 or HMMWV has been over 55 just check the air filter. If there is ATF on the element and in the airbox it has been over speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts