Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions on my rebuild. Jeep was stolen and rear drive shaft was broke so replacing the problem is new one doesnt fit and it measures the same as the old one.. Its now too long..So my first question is does anyone know the measurement from the front leaf spring bushing mount on the frame to center of perch on a 94 JY with 4” lift? Any chance the spring shackle was pushed forward. Frame looks straight but there was damage to the back door, it was pushed in and the muffler was ripped out..

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
60,024 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Almost everyone with any lift or different springs will have a different measurement. did you try to compress the shaft down on the splines?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its already compressed and doesnt fit. And even if it did go on it should move on the splines at least an inch..either the frame bent a little or the springs are bent slightly..

·
Registered
543 Posts
check to make sure the axle is sitting on the springs correctly...there supposed to be a locating pin in the spring that mates up to the spring seat on the axle to help locate the axle in the proper position

your rear axle may have been pushed forward, if other things are bent at the rear

...of course some pics may help us diagnose the issue further

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both pins that go thru the perch are broke off and you can see underneath the shackles have been pushed forward. We ordered a whole new lift kit with shocks and everything yesterday. Had someone look at the frame and it appears straight but wont know for sure until its drivable.
Before
After

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Both pins that go thru the perch are broke off and you can see underneath the shackles have been pushed forward. We ordered a whole new lift kit with shocks and everything yesterday. Had someone look at the frame and it appears straight but wont know for sure until its drivable. View attachment 4446801 Before View attachment 4446802 After
Okay! So nobody is going to ask? Before/After...? Before belongs in a magazine--After, is a salvage yard. Bet you the alloy wheels were stripped by the yard beforehand (or someone [that's my legal disclaimer of defamation:whistle: ]), and sold off before getting put up for sale.
Hope you got a good deal as in nearly free... you seem to have already accepted that it is a "Project!" :D
Any rate--good luck, and keep posting. Plenty of people to help here. :cool:

John D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasnt up for sale..It was stolen from our driveway. The after is what it looked like after we got it back from the tow yard. It was recovered by CHP but everything was destroyed basically..so we are starting from scratch.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Damn!!! Original owner!?!
Kudo's for taking it back..
Been there done that...
I bought my 95 Civic back from the Insurance Co back in 2017 after it was stolen from work (manual everything--meaning I had cash offers all the time) and I turned around sold for $500 profit.

Sadly,
After 22 years of pristine care, the new "owners" trashed it and racked up tickets in less than a year before it ended up in impound and scrapped. Selling to a friend who gifts to a nephew you just have to divest. But still sad!

John D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now its a project and we like projects so I will post when its finished. Already have the black spray paint off..

·
Registered
835 Posts
How long was it stolen for, before you got it back?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Wow, That was a fast trash job

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only thing they removed correctly were tires and wheels, dip stick and gas cap. Everything else they cut off like the swing away door. Instead of unbolting it, they cut it off at the bumper. We figured they didnt have the correct tools to remove parts right so they just cut away..

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Well now its a project and we like projects so I will post when its finished. Already have the black spray paint off..
Would like to see pics of the restore process if your are so inclined :cool:

John D

·
Registered
50 Posts
A decent frame specialty shop can put it on thier rack and check it,, its not "usually" too expensive to have it checked, and if its minor an hour or so of labor to pull it straight.. Check the crumple zones right at the frame curve behind the front wheels, ripples in the frame there are bad..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
check to make sure the axle is sitting on the springs correctly...there supposed to be a locating pin in the spring that mates up to the spring seat on the axle to help locate the axle in the proper position

your rear axle may have been pushed forward, if other things are bent at the rear

...of course some pics may help us diagnose the issue further
Got a question..so we put a brand new 4” lift on the jeep. A leaf spring lift, it had a lift but it was a shackle lift. Now the drive line is even off more. We had bought a driveline for a 4” lift before we put the new lift on. Did we buy the wrong rear axle? We have a slip yoke eliminator..so confused. The rear drive line was off about an inch before now the rear axle is off by at least 4” too long..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts