Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the engine finished and Humpty is all put back together again... but will not start. I have read a few forums suggesting that it is probably the cam shaft sensor and I have followed all the suggestions of TDC sticking a toothpick in it and reinstalling but it just won't start. It does turn over and kicks in for just a second but really really rough and won't stay running. Several of the post say that aligning the sensor by hand gets it going ok and some have had to take it to the dealer to get reset. But just wondering if there are any other suggestions I can try since I can't even get it to stay running enough to limp to the dealer. Here is a link of trying to start it...https://youtu.be/8DnD61eJ0dk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, I don't have a gauge but I checked the port (pressed the little valve on the rail) and it shoots out pretty well.
Everything was fine before removing the engine started and ran but just knocked and clanked to heck. Ended up being two broken pistons. Now it is all put back together and just chugs for a second and won't run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
which way does the reluctor point, to the front or back? The youtube golen video is backwards if you followed that one. also, the toothpick is for after you get it installed and before tightening. No way to put the toothpick or wd40 straw in the hole and then drop it in

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Harris is best---- nope error no codes

4.0ld - I think you asked which way the sensor is facing it is toward rear. Lined up the face with leading edge and then removed toothpick and tightened bracket. If it is for after can you explain what you mean?

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
Check rail pressure with gauge

Check spark

Except for 05-06 cam sensor is not al all picks just a blocked 180 on cam or 360 on crank then open other 180 on cam or next 360 on crank

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Harris is best---- nope error no codes

4.0ld - I think you asked which way the sensor is facing it is toward rear. Lined up the face with leading edge and then removed toothpick and tightened bracket. If it is for after can you explain what you mean?
here is an excellent video on the install, however it is incrrect on the reluctor it should be 180 off what is in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko75NEe2khY

I mean you cant put toothpick into opda and then install, it wont orient correctly.

and yes the sensor itself will point towards rear in line with engine.

your video sure does sound out of time to me???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts