Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '89 4.2 now for 5 years. When I bought it had 178,000, its at 201,000 now. Well in the last year I have had to replace the thermostat and water pump, and now it's giving my a large amount of blowback smoke from the Valve cover. I also found traces of water on the dipstick but that was before I reinstalled the thermostat. Pretty sure its time to go at the engine. I am looking for advice on the experience out there on weather to rebuild of replace the engine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
you have a good vacuum on the engine? that will really help the rings seal better,.

Also the amount of water on the dipstick is it at the bottom or up top?
oil floats on water.. so it has to be at bottom.
pull the oil fill cap and look under it. Look like pudding? look in the hole, see any pudding

amount of miles really dont tell the tell. a compression test will tell me some..
Vacuum really....

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Mine was doing the buy-pass pressure and then blew the head gasket into the coolant side, I pulled the whole head without removing the manifolds, I used a engine lift to get it out, then cleaned everything well and reinstalled it all with a $12.00 head gasket and it has ran great and almost no blow by. It's worth a try, $12.00 and a days work and keep on driving it. May not be right for you but it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Before you condemn the engine, Hook up a vacuum gauge and read what you get. Then, Do a dry and wet compression test....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the answers I was looking for, I hate rebuilding just to rebuild, but with the oil leaks and couple of other items, time to rebuild, but have a few other items I need to address at the same time. New complete exhaust, 2 1/2 lift, and rebuild steering column. Thank guys!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The way I'm reading his post, he plans to do all this at the same time, i.e. when he reinstalls the engine he will install new exhaust, and maybe do the lift and rebuild the column while the engine is still out. I bet a lift would be easier to install with the exhaust out of the way. I've never done a yj lift so I don't know if this is a fact.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
The exhaust would nothing to do with a lift on a YJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts