Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I really want to build a new engine for my '04 TJ. currently have a 4.0l with a 5 speed in it but it's getting close to 200k and I'm starting to hear a knock.

like I said, I want to build an engine. I'm gonna find a good 4.0 and tear it down to the block and rebuild it with all new components. I figured since I will have it torn down this far, now would be the time to either put in a stroke kit or send it out to bore the cylinders. I'm not sure which way to go. this is not something I have ever done and see this as an opportunity to learn alot.

what do you guys think? should I just rebuild it or should I do the other things to it? or should I scrap all of this and do the infamous LS or Diesel swap?

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
scrap it and go with a 5.3 swap.

after doing a lot of research and finding it difficult to take advantage of the additional power a stroker can produce I have shifted to the 5.3L vortec, preferably an aluminum block. they way a couple hundred pounds less and can allow almost double the fuel milage

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
What is your budget? 5.3s are common. The cummins 2.8 diesel has been around for a bit now though the cost is like 9k and you have to figure out the cooling system for yourself. Sure would be a fun project.

·
Registered
759 Posts
If you're not keeping the vehicle forever, then DIY stroker is the economy and/or easiest choice

If you're subject to emissions, then you'll need an 04

The 04 factory camshaft delivers the best dynamic compression on a 4.5L budget stroker - use a 4.2L crank and 4.2L short-rods with stockish 4.0L pistons - if you're doing this on a high-mileage engine then do a minimal bore to clean the cylinders

1 - 4 of 4 Posts