Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son (13) wants us to rebuild our AX-15 rather than have it done or buy a refurb. Right now 3rd & 4th seem to have no synchros at all but nothing jumps out of gear.

Any recommendations in terms of a good rebuild kit? And any recommendations in terms of approach / good tutorials?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
My son (13) wants us to rebuild our AX-15 rather than have it done or buy a refurb. Right now 3rd & 4th seem to have no synchros at all but nothing jumps out of gear.

Any recommendations in terms of a good rebuild kit? And any recommendations in terms of approach / good tutorials?

Have you ever rebuilt a transmission before? The AX15 is a pain in the ass compared to a old top loader. If you have never had a transmission apart and dont have a shop press and gear pullers you are probbaly in over your head. You can buy a brand new AX15HD with all of the updates imported from Japan for about $1,600

·
Registered
40 Posts
Far as I can tell,, You need a VERY expensive set of puller tools to dismantle the AX5/AX15, they are Aisin tranny designs, same as Late 80's/Early 90's Toyota, some of the parts even interchange.. I tried to dismantle one once just for fun.. Without a good air/hydro bench press its a big pain. You can get a used low mileage NV3500 cheaper.. Besides jeeps It came in 5 speed dakota's, you just need the bell housing which for the 4.0 should still be available form the TJ? Cant find the link I had to it..

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Far as I can tell,, You need a VERY expensive set of puller tools to dismantle the AX5/AX15, they are Aisin tranny designs, same as early Toyota. I tried to dismantle one once just for fun.. Without a good air/hydro bench press its a big pain. You can get a used low mileage NV3500 cheaper.. Besides jeeps It came in 5 speed dakota's, you just need the bell housing which for the 4.0 should still be available form the TJ? Cant find the link I had to it..
AX15 and NV3550 used the same bell housing and the AX15 is the better transmission especially the new units with all of the upgrades.

Reactions: jhendry

·
Registered
900 Posts
I and a friend recently tried to rebuild an AX5 using the best parts from two exact transmissions... Figured if this worked we could add a side business to his already well established and extremely busy shop. FSM and youtube videos in hand and ready to go. We got everything tore down and started the rebuild step by step to the FSM... To make a long story short, got it put back in the Jeep and nothing, the darn thing was locked up... No shifting gears and when you let out the clutch if made a horrible grinding noise. Needless to say, I bought a refurbished trans from Dead Jeep for a little over $500 and it works great.

You may be able to do it, I'm just sharing my experience
I had a mechanic shop to work in with all the tools and a mechanic with many years of experience at my side. We learned one thing from that mess it's easier and cheaper to let an experienced transmission mechanic to do it.

·
Super Moderator
10,631 Posts
I and a friend recently tried to rebuild an AX5 using the best parts from two exact transmissions... Figured if this worked we could add a side business to his already well established and extremely busy shop. FSM and youtube videos in hand and ready to go. We got everything tore down and started the rebuild step by step to the FSM... To make a long story short, got it put back in the Jeep and nothing, the darn thing was locked up... No shifting gears and when you let out the clutch if made a horrible grinding noise. Needless to say, I bought a refurbished trans from Dead Jeep for a little over $500 and it works great.

You may be able to do it, I'm just sharing my experience
I had a mechanic shop to work in with all the tools and a mechanic with many years of experience at my side. We learned one thing from that mess it's easier and cheaper to let an experienced transmission mechanic to do it.
A word to the wise.

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: jhendry

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, not the answers I was hoping for but it sounds like it might not be the wisest thing to take on... I appreciate it guys, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts