Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to rebuild axles front and rear. I have an arb airlocker on the front. I need to understand more about gear ratios and set ups as well as how to do this on my own. I need easy to understand reading material or anything else I can learn from. I have a 91 wrangler 6cyl.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
WWW.Google.com
setting gears isn't easy. You need the right tools and those are not cheap. I spent $400 on my clam shell bearing puller. $100 magnet base and guage. $80 slide hammer, $160 for 12 ton press. I already had the torque wrench both the foot pound and inch pound. Impact wrench with air compressor. Yukon sent me a good booklet with my gears showing what the right patterns look like and what to do for the wrong pattern. There are a lot of books out there get one read it. Reread it cause if your backlash is off even by .002, pinion too deep/shallow, or you torque the pinion nut down too much/little. It can grenade your axle, gears and/or locker.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
there are some good vids on youtube that will help explain whats involved. you can get the tools needed from harbor freight much cheaper than the prices posted, they aren't the best quality but are good enough for a home mechanic.
if after studying up you feel confident go for it, everyone has to learn some where.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Hoagie. said:
It's posts like that that make me nervous to even try and change my carrier bearing alone
Its not easy ill tell you that. The clam shell puller will let u reuse your carrier/pinion bearings so you dont need setup bearings. This tool cant be bought at harbor freight. There are pullers that can be but those styles bent and tweek your bearings during the constance bearing removel need to set the backlash of the gears. The base and gauge, press were bought at a HF at prices listed. I've done HP Dana 30, 8.8, LP Dana 44(XJ), HP/LP Dana 44(JK). Out of all those Ford 8.8 was the worse one to do

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have been a mechanic since I was 15 years old. I have built vehicles from the ground up and pretty much know the ends and outs of a vehicle. Right now my front diff is at a shop getting the ARB and gears installed and when he is done with that my 8.8 will go there as well. I have not set up any gears in a diff and even though I am sure I could "figure it out", I just leave that type of stuff to someone more skilled than myself.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have a friend I use.
I just give him what he needs (install kit and gears)
6-12 pack depending on what he wants
And normally end up trading him something as well.

Last time a had an old extremely worn out mopar 360.
He just wanted the block.
Its a 408 now in a 72 dodge power wagon.

He's a tool and die maker (really freakin good machinest) I don't know how to spell machinest...

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
I have been a mechanic since I was 15 years old. I have built vehicles from the ground up and pretty much know the ends and outs of a vehicle. Right now my front diff is at a shop getting the ARB and gears installed and when he is done with that my 8.8 will go there as well. I have not set up any gears in a diff and even though I am sure I could "figure it out", I just leave that type of stuff to someone more skilled than myself.
x2...I do the crawlers that never see the road but when it matters I let my bud do it who does it for a living. Setting up gears isnt something you wanna halfass.:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts