Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after a day on the trails, I realized my pinion gear seal was leaking. I later opened up my diff and found muddy goop and i had changed my diff/tranny fluids 2 weeks prior. So to clean it out i decided to just empty the entire axle housing. and rebuild it using a rebuild kit. My only worry is, removing the pinion gear. does it have a certain way of going back in or is it more simple than I think. And also, any reccommendations on a quality rebuild kit? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You have to set the "backlash" you can put everything in its right place so it looks correct. But without precise clearances and "mating" of the gears you are likely to blow it in the long run.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good question.. let's wait and see what some one that know what there talking about has to say... I'm kind of in the same boat. My pinion bearing is shot. And I could use a new pinion gear. But they go as a set ring and pinion... But as far as o know also the "preload" needs to be just right... How hard you torque down the bolt on the outside of the diff. On the end of the pinion bearing. To loose u have problems.. to tight you have problems.. that's what has kept me from doing it.. at least till I have a spare lined up. Then o might just play with it for the experience.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why couldn't regearing be as simple as everything else on a jeep.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is like to know too.. I could have rebuilt mine 6 times by now. But everyone has told me to have it done proffesionaly or replace with used... Rebuild cost more than getting another one

·
Registered
415 Posts
Dana 35's have crush sleeves for the pinion nut. You "can" over tighten but its unlikely cause you can feel it in the air gun as its loading down. If and when you do it, check how many thousandths of backlash you have in your old ring and pinion. when I set up gears I use between 7-11 thousandths backlash. Torque ring bolts to case to 90ft/lb. Extra shims are nice to have also when changing the ring and pinion seeing that they may not be EXACT the way the old came out.

hope that helps

·
Registered
52 Posts
Driver831 said:
Dana 35's have crush sleeves for the pinion nut. You "can" over tighten but its unlikely cause you can feel it in the air gun as its loading down. If and when you do it, check how many thousandths of backlash you have in your old ring and pinion. when I set up gears I use between 7-11 thousandths backlash. Torque ring bolts to case to 90ft/lb. Extra shims are nice to have also when changing the ring and pinion seeing that they may not be EXACT the way the old came out.

hope that helps
Lol see, I can do a lot on vehicles.. in fact getting ready to do my first Dana 35 - 8.25 sua conversion.... But my friend your post was a differnt language to me. Lol. Just havnt made it to that grade in the school of hard Knox yet. Hopefully the original poster did. I wanted to rebuild mine so bad. But everyone said never rebuild a Dana 35. Take the opportunity to upgrade... Even if its only a small one like mine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
H8-roads said:
Rebuild complete. It was simpler than I thought.
How in depth was the rebuild.... What gears/bearing/seals did u do. Did you just slap them in.. test back lash? Cost of parts?

So curious. Because I might still rebuild mine as a backup when I get the money. But so far the Dana is out. The 8.25 is all in place. Tomorrow I button up the brake lines and shorter driveshaft... Total cost $80 including fuel to pickup axle a few towns away.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How in depth was the rebuild.... What gears/bearing/seals did u do. Did you just slap them in.. test back lash? Cost of parts?

So curious. Because I might still rebuild mine as a backup when I get the money. But so far the Dana is out. The 8.25 is all in place. Tomorrow I button up the brake lines and shorter driveshaft... Total cost $80 including fuel to pickup axle a few towns away.
I bought all the parts from the dealer (mopar). I changed the pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, Left and right axle bearings and seals. I paid about 200 bucks with my shop discount. It's all simple except for the outter pinion bearing because it is a pain to get off.

That being said, if you have money. I wouldn't recommend spending money on a back up Dana 35. The only reason I did mine is because I bought the jeep with 4.10 gears and trutac locker. I eventually hope to upgrade to front and rear Dana 44's from g2, but that costs a good 5/6grand so for now I'll settle with a rebuild

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought all the parts from the dealer (mopar). I changed the pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion seal, Left and right axle bearings and seals. I paid about 200 bucks with my shop discount. It's all simple except for the outter pinion bearing because it is a pain to get off.

That being said, if you have money. I wouldn't recommend spending money on a back up Dana 35. The only reason I did mine is because I bought the jeep with 4.10 gears and trutac locker. I eventually hope to upgrade to front and rear Dana 44's from g2, but that costs a good 5/6grand so for now I'll settle with a rebuild
Too bad you bought the parts from the dealer, I wish I would have seen this thread sooner. Quadratec sells a Dana 35 bearing / seal kit for $99. It has the pinion bearings, carrier bearings, axle bearings, pinion and axle seals, and crush sleeve with new pinion nut. All Timken Made in America parts. I just bought kits for the 35 and Dana 30 the other day.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh wow. I thought it would be made in china which is the main reason I bought mopar or else 4 wheel parts had it for 115. But thanks anyways. I'm hoping to buy an 8.8 from east coast gear supply eventually.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I called Quadratec first before ordering, and they told me all parts were MIA. I was happy to see this was true when I opened the package.

Good luck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts