Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had there clucht rebuilt or did yall just buy a new one? If you have did you have any problems outa it? The reason I'm asking is that's what dad had done for mine when we dropped the new motor into mine and now It's slipping the clutch. I hate not having my TJ and leaving it parked till we can get it into the shop again.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
X2 on the Luk clutch kit recommendation. New clutch disks are inexpensive enough that I'd never buy a rebuilt clutch. Luk clutches are usually good for pretty close to 200K miles in a TJ.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
willms81 said:
Never had a rebuilt clutch.

Not exactly a part I try to be cheap with since it isn't an exactly easy install.
That's what I thought as well but dads the mechanic in the family so I went with what he said. Southbend makes a kevlar clutch that I can get for a decent price if I've gotta replace it I'm thinking about going with. I've got friends that run them in their fixed up diesels.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,638 Posts
Luk here. You don't want a high performance clutch in a Jeep.
To me, the Luk is a "high performance" clutch in that it holds up to the toughest offroading imagineable while at the same time able to make it pretty darned close to 200K miles if not more than that.

I literally smoked my Luk clutch more than a few times it it was still in surprisingly good condition at 161K miles when out of caution I decided to change it. It probabably could have lasted another 40K miles.

That is clutch smoke billowing out of my TJ...

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts