Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Two weeks ago the lower part of my 1999 wrangler 2.5L 4cyl. engine started ticking/knocking. I can't get a good read on what it is exactly until the oil pan is pulled off. So it could be something easy...more than likely I will have to put in another engine (she only has 120k).

My question: any good vendors/places to get a rebuilt engine and/or labor in the Boston area.

Also good questions I need to ask to make a good decision. It kills me that I can't fix her this time by myself. Any advice would really help me; I'm not ready to give up on her.

Thank you in advance!!!!!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
ATK and Jasper are the common Re-manufatured motors. They typically come with a 3 year warranty. A friend recently replaced his 2.5L with a reman and it came to $1300 after the core exchange. Obviously if you don't have the ability to swap the motor yourself, then you have labor costs on top of that.

Check the State Forum section to get recommendations on local businesses.

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
I've got 240k on mine, have been tossing around the idea of replacing mine too. I don't know if I'm exactly up to a full engine replacement right now so I had a local shop price me a replacement. For a reman and labor it would be about $3800 and change. Judging from what I've seen as far as labor prices go that's pretty accurate. If you can do it yourself you can get an ATK or Jasper for about $1100 to $1500 plus core charge. I did find a place that offered to ship it free and provide crating and shipping back no charge but can't remember who right now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are used engines just as good as rebuilt? If the mechanic knows what he's doing? I've gotten a quote for a used engine 69k for 2200$ or a 120k for 1800$...not sure if a used engine is worth it or ok?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Are used engines just as good as rebuilt?
of course not, why would it be? A used engine has previous owners and it's condition is highly susceptible to how well it has been taken care of, just like the engine you are having major problems with.

If the mechanic knows what he's doing? I've gotten a quote for a used engine 69k for 2200$ or a 120k for 1800$...not sure if a used engine is worth it or ok?
it's up to you. make a decision and live with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are used engines just as good as rebuilt? If the mechanic knows what he's doing? I've gotten a quote for a used engine 69k for 2200$ or a 120k for 1800$...not sure if a used engine is worth it or ok?
I would not do a used engine at all especially for those prices!

I just had the same problem with my '98. Ended up being a broken piston skirt!

I got a new 2.5 from S&J motors out of Spokane Wa. for $1800.00 shipped and including Core. The warranty their engines for 7 years or 100,000 miles!

:iamhappy:

Ken

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
Yeah:

Used = someone yanked a "running" engine from a wreck etc.

Rebuilt = was once "used" but depending on who rebuilt it etc should at the very least have new seals, timing chain and other parts that wear out over time

You can get a "used" engine on ebay or Craigslist for around $400 usually. Was that mechanic quoting install too or just the engine?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help. This is completely new territory for me so I'm glad you guys can tell me whats stupid or not. I am definitely leaning toward the rebuilt engine route, always have been, but figured I'd ask about the used engine as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
salvage yard or craigslist engine are generally $500 and they usually come with all the accessories attached, $2k for a used engine when you can buy one rebuilt is silly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts