Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked up VIN and found that there is one recall for my '97 TJ. It is for the fuel tank sending unit. As far as I know, the dealer ship will have to take care of this. Anyone know if I am correct with that? I have been having a problem with starting. It takes a couple times turning over to start, like not getting fuel. If I turn the switch on for a few seconds a couple times then it doesn't have a problem. Did I just find a free fix :punk:

·
Registered
598 Posts
You may have to dig deeper. Some recalls have restrictions such as max mileage and dates. I did some work on a Monte Carlo with a Cat Convertor Recall and the dealer wouldn't honor it because the mileage was over the recall requirements.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had the same recall on my '97 and dealership replaced it for free, but that was a few years ago so like the others said, could have mileage or date restrictions.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Recalls last the life of the vehicle since its a safety issue. I had mine done at 130000 miles with no issues at all. Won't help your hard start though, all they replace is the part that send the signal to the gas gauge, the float arm etc. they won't touch the pump or the pressure reg unless you pay.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ill look for the website again. I believe you can do it on car fax though. You can also call your local dealership and have them run the VIN.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Where did you find this recall at? my sending unit is broke, but ive got a 98.
All you need to do is call a Jeep dealership and be ready to give them the VIN. They keep track of that stuff and can tell if the repair has been made on it regardless if you are the original owner or not.

Edit: and be able to tell you if the recall applies to your Jeep. You may need other recalls.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts