Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: My 2007 JKJS74 has about 101k on the clock, the seats have taken a beating, me and the original owner were 6'3" about 225-250lbs. The seat height always bothered me as well with my head grazing the SpiderWebShade roof, with the soft top or the hard top. So i was in search of something...namely something different. I've tried the MasterCraft on the trail and for a suspension seat they have their place. I've tried the Corbeau and they are closer to what I wanted...but I was still missing something.

Knowing these might go in a two-door JK project there were a few requirements:

• Bolt-In Application
  • Slide and Tilt-Slide (Both Sides)
  • 4/5-point Harness Provision / OEM Seatbelt applicable
  • Ergonomic / Lumbar
  • Upper Bolster

Enter RECARO and their RECARO Speed Seats..

Their Specs Speak for themselves (Borrowed from their Site):
PREMIUM FEATURES: RECARO SPEED

RECARO Design: The RECARO Speed seat is modeled after the design aesthetics of world-class racing seats, but it’s all street legal. The integrated headrest with belt pass-throughs, aggressively bolstered shoulder, back and thigh areas and sleek cover designs make the Speed the ultimate in a “street legal” performance seat.

RECARO Ergonomics: RECARO seats offer unequaled ergonomics. The unique S shaped structure of RECARO seats provide "built-in" lumbar support. By design, RECARO seats promote an ergonomically correct, comfortable experience. RECARO seats deliver world-class comfort by aligning the spinal cord in the most natural and healthy position like no other aftermarket automotive seat can. You only have to sit in a RECARO seat to "feel the difference".

Integrated Lumbar System: Proper lumbar support is an integral part of the comfort of an automotive seat. RECARO's proprietary lumbar support technology provides superior comfort and support.

Shoulder, Back and Thigh Bolsters: Driving in a RECARO seat is not all about correct sitting, it is about performance too. The pronounced shoulder, back and thigh bolsters will keep you firmly in place under the most aggressive driving situations.

Adjustable Backrest: Easy manual dial mechanism moves the backrest forward and back for correct sitting positioning in a vehicle.

Dual Manual Seat Back Release: Moves the backrest forward for easy access to the rear seat of a vehicle.

Integrated Headrest: The integrated headrest gives the seat a sportive look, while the functional belt pass-throughs allow for the use of a 4 or 5 point belt harness.

High Quality Foam Padding: The entire seat is lined with thick, dense high quality foam, adding to seats sport feel, ensuring long lasting support and comfort.

Upholstery: RECARO chooses the best materials for its covers and then sews them with precision, assuring the seat will look great for years.

RECARO Speed M Model: The Speed M model includes all of the premium features of the Speed. However, the Speed M model comes equipped with a flat seat cushion for easier entry and exit out of the seat and thigh extension.

RECARO Speed S Model: The Speed S model includes all of the premium features of the Speed. However, the Speed S model comes equipped with a flat seat cushion for easier entry and exit out of the seat.

Planted Seat Brackets:

Planted Seat Bracket- Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door (2007+) - Driver / Left
Part #: SB165DR (Planted)

Planted Seat Bracket- Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door (2007+) - Passenger / Right
Part #: SB165PA (Planted)

Planted Seat Bracket- Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door (2007+) LOW - Driver / Left *Mounts to floor not pedes
Part #: SB247DR (Planted)

Planted Seat Bracket- Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door (2007+) LOW - Passenger / Right *Mounts to floor not p
Part #: SB247PA (Planted)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Impressions:

Impressions:

Bolt-In- Planted Nailed it with these brackets, the only difference is between the 2007-2010 interior and the 2011 to current. The seat belt bracket can rub on the B-pillar.

Glider-Provided by RECARO worked flawless despite 50-70MPH dust on some trails, they never failed.
Tilt--worked as promised, will be great to review with the actual install on the JK-2DR.

4/5-Point vs. OEM Belt- I used the factory belt and it was never an issue other than the Planted bracket rubbing on the B-Pillar.

Bolster- I should really separate these...
Upper-size-wise I'm a 48 Jacket, and I'm 6'3" the bolster was supportive and in all the right places. I was much less fatigued after 10+ days on trail.
Lower-size-wise I'm a solid 38" waist, this is about the limit of the standard Speed series. I'd suggest the Speed "S" or Speed "M" for a flat cushion if ingress/egress is an issue.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
No comments on the seats.... I'm just jealous that you are in Moab and I'm not! :D
It's getting cooler back here home.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Cool. I've been mulling the idea of putting this kind of seat in but stopped short because of the custom fabrication I thought it might need. Not on the design side but the fabrication side since I can't weld and one or two other things.

Would you provide a link to the brackets?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are they heated? I installed heating pads with one of the DIYs here on the forum. I am also 6'3" and found the stock seats just ok, not great. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are they heated? I installed heating pads with one of the DIYs here on the forum. I am also 6'3" and found the stock seats just ok, not great. Thanks for the write up!
They do offer heated. I figured I'd keep it simple. I run a modified ACE Lava Jacket, and haven't found the need for heated seats since. I'm trying to eliminate potential electronic issues on my JK so I've rewired mostly everything except my ARB at this point. I've removed one of my two winches and now the heated seats. The radio is next.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Question on installation of these

Background: My 2007 JKJS74 has about 101k on the clock, the seats have taken a beating, me and the original owner were 6'3" about 225-250lbs. The seat height always bothered me as well with my head grazing the SpiderWebShade roof, with the soft top or the hard top. So i was in search of something...namely something different. I've tried the MasterCraft on the trail and for a suspension seat they have their place. I've tried the Corbeau and they are closer to what I wanted...but I was still missing something.
Did you install these yourself? I am trying to buy my first Sport S Unltd (trying because it's complicated getting all the specs right and then finding the right dealer!) and I have two concerns- I want a backup camera and I found the driver's seat in the Sport I rented for a 4-day road trip uncomfortable- and I rented it to test exactly that before buying! I am new at all this so wasn't sure- if I wanted to get these seats, would I ask my dealer to have them installed since the car is being ordered, or would I just order the car with factory seats and then have a third party install these afterwards? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you install these yourself? I am trying to buy my first Sport S Unltd (trying because it's complicated getting all the specs right and then finding the right dealer!) and I have two concerns- I want a backup camera and I found the driver's seat in the Sport I rented for a 4-day road trip uncomfortable- and I rented it to test exactly that before buying! I am new at all this so wasn't sure- if I wanted to get these seats, would I ask my dealer to have them installed since the car is being ordered, or would I just order the car with factory seats and then have a third party install these afterwards? Thanks for your help!
I had them installed at America's Most Wanted 4x4 in Holly MI. My Jeep was already there, but to be honest it looks pretty straight forward.

My recommendation is if you aren't sure on the high side bolster, go with the other model. You'll get the upper bolster on the seat back, but easier ingress/egress.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts