Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new CAT (CARB Compliant) and exhaust system for my YJ. It still has the factory pieces and I failed California's smog test, so figured I was about time I upgraded to some performance parts. Anyone have recommendations on what setup I should look at?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I just bought a magnaflow universal performance cat from Amazon for $50. Check out thefrugalmechanic.com for cheap parts. If I remember magnaflow does make some Carb compliant cats. Good luck with your states bull crap emissions! Lol

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tell me about it, CATs for Ca are sometimes double..I'm liking the Banks monster exhaust.

Anyone else have any recommendations on what you put on your YJ?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Get on summit racing an order a high flow cat and do the banks headers with a thrush welded muffler I have mine with headers high flow cat an a 3 1/2 straight all the way out no muffler

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
3.5" all the way back?!? Lol that's waaaaay too much.

·
Registered
523 Posts
RockinWrangler77 said:
Get on summit racing an order a high flow cat and do the banks headers with a thrush welded muffler I have mine with headers high flow cat an a 3 1/2 straight all the way out no muffler
I hope that's on an ls motor or some kind of v8

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Go to your local AutoZone and just buy components from them. They can't sell non CARB compliant equipment in the state of California, so you're good there.

You're not going to get much more performance out of a high flow system, maybe a couple HP and a bit better throttle response, but even if you do the intake, it's not going to work much better. The sound will change, but that's about it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a really good price on the Borla exhaust and the Magnaflow Direct fit CARB CAT. I should be getting them both this week. I'll post the pics and steps for the job. I'm hoping for a smooth install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts