Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my jeep weighs more than the factory tow rating. Does that mean that it would be a bad idea to use the receiver as a recovery point?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Think about it. You're buried to the axles in mud, your buddy hooks up his 9K winch with a snatch block since you're buried so deep. He hits the go button on the winch and 18,000 pounds of pull hits that puny rear cross-member that the receiver is bolted to. My guess is best case, it folds, worst case you rip it completely off. Not on my rig you don't. That said, need a quick tug because you're high centered? no problem.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It absolutely CAN be used as a recovery point. The tow rating incorporates several other factors.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the responses so far.

I'm going to be installing an Ace rear bumper that has a receiver built into it. I don't think it relies on the cross-member. That said, Ace states that their receiver retains the factory tow rating (2,000 lbs). The good news is that there are recovery shackle mounts on both sides of the Ace bumper. I was thinking that it could possibly be handy to have a recovery point in the center also, but I definitely don't want to use the receiver if it won't be safe.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have used it on the recovery vehicle (with snatch strap around hitch pin) many times. My preference would be for both vehicles to be in a forward gear (not reverse) for a recovery...and using the D-rings (or tow hooks) on the front of the vehicle being recovered, but that's not always an option.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but tow rating has a lot more to do with your transmission and the weight of your vehicle. Not the structural strength of the connection point...

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I'm with Frieed. A light tug, no problem. I have the hitch pin there to secure the strap. A big heavy rig or some sunk to the axles...time for a shackle and a different mount point.

Bob K.

·
Registered
119 Posts
With all recoveries, the first rule is put brain in gear...
There are large forces involved in any recovery and things can get ugly fast.

Look at the situation and try to imagine the worst that can happen.
Sometimes you have to over-stress things, just be prepared for the consequences.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With all recoveries, the first rule is put brain in gear...
There are large forces involved in any recovery and things can get ugly fast.

Look at the situation and try to imagine the worst that can happen.
Sometimes you have to over-stress things, just be prepared for the consequences.
Yep, exactly why I'm trying to make the best choices while planning so that when the time comes I'm better prepared.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Thank you for the responses so far.

I'm going to be installing an Ace rear bumper that has a receiver built into it. I don't think it relies on the cross-member. That said, Ace states that their receiver retains the factory tow rating (2,000 lbs). The good news is that there are recovery shackle mounts on both sides of the Ace bumper. I was thinking that it could possibly be handy to have a recovery point in the center also, but I definitely don't want to use the receiver if it won't be safe.
Light recovery from the receiver is fine. Like others have stated, anything more and I like to be pulling from the frame rails. Not sure about the Ace bumper but the Mopar off road rear bumper had the shackle mounts bolted directly to the frame.

·
Registered
1 Posts
u could tow 10,000lbs with the jeep....not safe, but it could....It's not the strength of the hitch it is the safety limit of towing with that vehicle. My subaru outback has a tow rating of 2000lb. It's all set by NHTSA

·
Registered
343 Posts
The low tow rating has to do more with the short wheel base and lack of stability than it does the strength of the receiver. My last vehicle was an F-150 and I had to get pulled out of a muddy trail one day and used the receiver with no issues. But it wasn't buried, just caught in a rut with some slippery wet Georgia clay and no lockers.

That said, the Jeep has a hook on the rear for a reason, why not use it?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for everyone's input.

I'm pretty sure the rear hook will be coming off when I install my Ace bumper, but I will then have recovery shackles on each side of the bumper instead. I was just thinking that a center recovery point might be desirable in some scenarios but I was concerned with the tow rating issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts