Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a '14 JK without the tow package. I am about to install a Curt Trailer Hitch. It is a simple 4 bolt addition, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have the hitch welded to the frame of the vehicle or simply bolt on and torque the receiver hitch. I will be pulling a trailer with a Kawasaki KLR / BMW F650 GS. I just want to be sure that there will be no issues on the road with a trailer. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I assume bolts to the cross member behind the bumper like most hitches?

I see no reason to weld it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hey everyone, I recently purchased a '14 JK without the tow package. I am about to install a Curt Trailer Hitch. It is a simple 4 bolt addition, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have the hitch welded to the frame of the vehicle or simply bolt on and torque the receiver hitch. I will be pulling a trailer with a Kawasaki KLR / BMW F650 GS. I just want to be sure that there will be no issues on the road with a trailer. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would not weld it. You may have to remove it one day. I used an impact to tighten my bolts with (RED) LocTite. Check torque on bolts every oil change for a reminder.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Don't weld it. Just bolt it on with some loc tite and or lock washers. I checked mine after 5 years and mine are still tight and I've never had a problem towing more weight than a bike

·
Registered
296 Posts
when welding, the weld will be stronger that the pieces that were welded, in turn making the pieces that were welded together weaker, making it possible for your cross member to bend at the welded location which will open a whole new can of worms, just not a good idea in general. I'm fairly sure that any knowledgable welder would suggest against this idea as well

1 - 8 of 8 Posts