Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there people! I've been looking for a 2" hitch I can put on the back of my 04 rubicon with a stock bumper. I plan on towing a small trailer with my quad in it or a hitch mounted bike rack. I've tried a few places but keep on finding ones that match up only with after market bumpers. Any ideas????
Thanks!
Frank

·
Registered
451 Posts
I can't see spending $250 on a receiver hitch that hangs down and reduces your departure angle drasticly offroad. For $240 you can get the Olympic AT Slider rear bumper for YJ's and TJ's:

This bumper has a better departure angle than the stock bumper, and is a Class III rated 2" receiver, rated for towing 3400lbs on an LJ or 2000lbs on a TJ. The bumper is made out of DOM tubing and wraps around and under the rear tub corners on a TJ and protects them.

It's a better deal and a more functional Jeep mod. Olympic also makes an optional tire swing to put an oversized spare tire up to 37" on the same bumper. I am running a 33" spare on the tailgate with this bumper, it fits fine.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Look at AtoZ fabrications or dirt work or Groundpounders bumpers.....a much better look and they are tow rated.

·
Super Moderator
7,003 Posts
Look at AtoZ fabrications or dirt work or Groundpounders bumpers.....a much better look and they are tow rated.
not that i disagree on the look and feel its a better choice when used with frame tie ins, but i dont think any of these bumpers are tow rated

·
Registered
629 Posts
I use a Draw-Tite with my factory bumper. It sits maybe four inches higher than the fuel tank and perhaps six inches behind it. It seems to me it would take a grade steep enough to turn the Jeep over for it to get in the way while climbing anything.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,633 Posts
If you offroaded on trails that were uneven enough, you'd quickly find that such bolt-on receiver hitches drag on uneven offroad terrain like crazy. My bolt-on hitch installed 18 years ago lasted 2-3 months before discovering that its 2" drawbar receptacle was dragging on even some beginner level trails. It wasn't long after that that I replaced it with a bumper with an integrated hitch.

As recommended above, at least for Jeeps that go offroad on trails more difficult than a graded dirt road, it's much better to buy a bumper with an integrated receiver hitch. They aren't that much more to buy and they work MUCH better. Their far better departure angle means they won't drag.

And the fact that some bumpers with receiver hitches aren't tow-rated has more with lawyer-induced fear of liability than anything else. The EXACT bumper with an integrated tow hitch fully rated for towing that I purchased for my first TJ is no longer tow rated. Same exact bumper, same exact design... what changed? A lawyer got involved.

The last bumper with an integrated receiver hitch I bought came from DirtWorx and it's even stronger than the first one I bought. It's not rated for towing, the company owner laughed when I winked and said 'this is tow rated right?'. The world has become lawsuit-happy and few manufacturers are willing to risk anything by even stating the purpose of many parts. Just like when Jeep was forced to start calling the factory roll cage a "sport cage". Blame the lawyers, I do.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Try etrailer.com.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts