Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Im looking around for a full cover for my 2013 2dr. Im gonna be storing it over the winter to avoid salt and such. Its going to be in a non heated shop thats my dads. Im looking for a decent inexpensive cover to just keep it dust free. Ive done some research but i wanna see what you guys use.

Also any tips to winterize it?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
You're winterizing your jeep? Do you have a better vehicle for the snow?

Anywho, fill your gas tank all the way so there is no room for condensation, use stabil in the gas. Overinflate tires(45ish psi) to avoid flat spots. Put it on a trickle charger or just charge it in the spring. Do an oil change after the winter before you even start it

Jeeps are fun in the snow tho! I'd urge you to reconsider

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Jackster3 said:
Hey guys,

Im looking around for a full cover for my 2013 2dr. Im gonna be storing it over the winter to avoid salt and such. Its going to be in a non heated shop thats my dads. Im looking for a decent inexpensive cover to just keep it dust free. Ive done some research but i wanna see what you guys use.

Also any tips to winterize it?

Thanks in advance :)
This just doesn't sound right. What a sad life for a jeep.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jkjeeper06 said:
You're winterizing your jeep? Do you have a better vehicle for the snow?

Anywho, fill your gas tank all the way so there is no room for condensation, use stabil in the gas. Overinflate tires(45ish psi) to avoid flat spots. Put it on a trickle charger or just charge it in the spring. Do an oil change after the winter before you even start it

Jeeps are fun in the snow tho! I'd urge you to reconsider
I bought the jeep to be purely a vehicle ill be keeping as a childhood toy ill have until it doesn't run anymore. I want it to last and right now commuting 80+ miles a day during the school year is just packing miles on it and emptying my pocket for gas. I have a cavalier i use to commute for the past two years at college so ill be continuing that. The jeep is just my summer toy until i move south for a job.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Careful with a cover then. Some people say taking them on and off does more damage than good. Especially with a jeep, the chances of getting rocks/sand/dirt under the cover and grinding it into the paint is higher. On the flip side my girlfriends dad uses one on his Mercedes and that looks great

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you're willing to drop some extra cash, car-covers.com has good ones available that can protect against all the elements. I bought the top quality one, and it fits my Jeep nicely.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Give it a good wash and wax job before before you put the cover on. This'll reduce the potential for scratches.

If you are storing it in an enclosed building, get a cover that breathes. The big concern is keeping dust and other airborne crap off it. A waterproof cover can and will trap moisture, especially in a heated garage. I know you said the shop is unheated, but normal fluctuations can also contribute to condensation. BMW sells special "dust" covers for just this purpose. I'm sure you could find something similar for the Jeep.

Put the battery on a trickle charger. The electronics in the Jeep will likely drain the battery during the 4-5 months that you store it. A trickle charger will keep the battery topped off and extend the battery's life.

As mentioned above, change the oil when you take it out of storage. Moisture tends to get into oil that sits too long.

I've never seen a problem with flat spotted tires that didn't go away in the first few miles of driving. However, you could certainly increase the air pressure to try and prevent it. Alternatively, you could put it up on jack stands and take the weight off the tires. Depending on where you live, the fluctuation in temperature can really reduce the air pressure in the tire. I'll see a solid 15 psi swing from summer to winter. Of course, it does routinely drop below -30 F here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts