Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I've got the lowest of low 130 units now. I've added a Clarion XC1410 amp and Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered sub and it sounds pretty good, but I'd like some more features:

Add backup camera
Bluetooth
USB
Interact with Android phone for music control and NAV
Touchscreen
etc.

The Pioneer AVH series have all these features and more but really get panned in the reviews on Amazon.

Am I kidding my self? Can I get a nice HU for around $300 plus what ever adapters are required to retain steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed the JVC KW-AV16BT 2 years ago for $240 and have been very happy with it. The only thing it doesn't do is navigation, which I just use my phone for anyway. They might have a newer version that syncs to the phone better now.

I got a back up camera off amazon for around $20, which I really only use when I am backing up to a trailer. Has the steering wheel controls and puts out 22watts RMS, which is respectable for a head unit, unless you are powering your speakers through your amp.

Plus it plays DVD's so I can keep the wife entertained on long trips, its a win win!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey all,
I've got the lowest of low 130 units now. I've added a Clarion XC1410 amp and Kenwood KSC-SW11 powered sub and it sounds pretty good, but I'd like some more features:

Add backup camera
Bluetooth
USB
Interact with Android phone for music control and NAV
Touchscreen
etc.

The Pioneer AVH series have all these features and more but really get panned in the reviews on Amazon.

Am I kidding my self? Can I get a nice HU for around $300 plus what ever adapters are required to retain steering wheel controls?
I think you are correct in that the Pioneer AVH units are your best option. The AVH-X2700BS ($205) or newer AVH-X2800BS ($215) would fit the bill. I'm not 100% sure what Pioneer has added to the 2016 models (X800 series) but for only $10 more I would get the new model. No other mfg is making touchscreen HU's at this price point that include two very important sound tuning options: time alignment and a 13 band EQ. The 2016 Kenwood DDX373BT adds those features (last year's 372bt did NOT) but I can't find it at a price close to that of the Pioneer units.

You'll also need the PAC RP4-CH11 ($90) the Scosche CR1291B dash kit ($11 AMZ, or $7 Ebay) as well as the Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter ($6). So that's right around $330 for everything from Amazon. I would make sure to choose Amazon as both the seller and shipper for both the HU and PAC interface. This way if anything goes wrong, getting replacements would be easier.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I bought an Android Double Din...
200 Bucks.
Runs Torque Via Bluetooth has built in Navigation dedicated GPS ant, plus the same options as Phones with wifi or data enabled GPS like Google maps also.
Had everything but Sat so I added an FM Transmitter type Sat head unit.

This leaves my phone free...

Ant and adapter for FM to CB ant.
Works excellent for FM my reception cleared up significantly...
I was running a Stubby Normal FM ant, now im looking for a BADGE...lol Yep...
(Changed over to CB for FM ant also as mentioned above...) from another post.

Plus I can have DVD playing for kids. Reverse Camera, I am very happy.
I still use phone to text, and make calls through Android Radio.

DVD,CD, FM/AM 32 gig SD Card expandable, 32 gig USB stick pigtail, GPS, Android Platform 4.4.4, Wifi Connects to Source or can be upgraded to Hot spot.
Double Din 7" touch Screen. Aux input, Reverse Cam input plus included but I used my JVC one instead of the Tag one...
Does not run apps that use inclinmeter since dash radio does not have tilt monitors....Phone still works for those or tablet.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are correct in that the Pioneer AVH units are your best option. The AVH-X2700BS ($205) or newer AVH-X2800BS ($215) would fit the bill. I'm not 100% sure what Pioneer has added to the 2016 models (X800 series) but for only $10 more I would get the new model. No other mfg is making touchscreen HU's at this price point that include two very important sound tuning options: time alignment and a 13 band EQ. The 2016 Kenwood DDX373BT adds those features (last year's 372bt did NOT) but I can't find it at a price close to that of the Pioneer units.

You'll also need the PAC RP4-CH11 ($90) the Scosche CR1291B dash kit ($11 AMZ, or $7 Ebay) as well as the Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter ($6). So that's right around $330 for everything from Amazon. I would make sure to choose Amazon as both the seller and shipper for both the HU and PAC interface. This way if anything goes wrong, getting replacements would be easier.
webwarmiller,
Once again you've done all my homework for me. The one thing I'm struggling with is Pioneer bought off Amazon. I read umpteen reviews of the Pioneer AVH receivers at Amazon and the X2700BS and X2800BS were not getting great reviews and also people were bitching that Pioneer would not honor their warranty if bought from Amazon. Here's a link to the Pioneer website stating as much: Pioneer Car Audio Video Authorized Internet Dealers | Pioneer Electronics USA

Crazy, ain't it? I've been eyeballing that Kenwood model also. It must be the only thing cheaper at Crutchfield than Amazon. LOL

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the JVC KW-AV16BT 2 years ago for $240 and have been very happy with it. The only thing it doesn't do is navigation, which I just use my phone for anyway. They might have a newer version that syncs to the phone better now.

I got a back up camera off amazon for around $20, which I really only use when I am backing up to a trailer. Has the steering wheel controls and puts out 22watts RMS, which is respectable for a head unit, unless you are powering your speakers through your amp.

Plus it plays DVD's so I can keep the wife entertained on long trips, its a win win!
Thanks, Mike. Looks like that one is no longer made but JVC is definitely on the short list.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought an Android Double Din...
200 Bucks.
Runs Torque Via Bluetooth has built in Navigation dedicated GPS ant, plus the same options as Phones with wifi or data enabled GPS like Google maps also.
Had everything but Sat so I added an FM Transmitter type Sat head unit.

This leaves my phone free...

Ant and adapter for FM to CB ant.
Works excellent for FM my reception cleared up significantly...
I was running a Stubby Normal FM ant, now im looking for a BADGE...lol Yep...
(Changed over to CB for FM ant also as mentioned above...) from another post.

Plus I can have DVD playing for kids. Reverse Camera, I am very happy.
I still use phone to text, and make calls through Android Radio.

DVD,CD, FM/AM 32 gig SD Card expandable, 32 gig USB stick pigtail, GPS, Android Platform 4.4.4, Wifi Connects to Source or can be upgraded to Hot spot.
Double Din 7" touch Screen. Aux input, Reverse Cam input plus included but I used my JVC one instead of the Tag one...
Does not run apps that use inclinmeter since dash radio does not have tilt monitors....Phone still works for those or tablet.
Thanks, Mark. Are those sold only on ebay. They sure have a lot of features for not a lot of $$$

·
Registered
589 Posts
Its not JVC thats apparent..lol
My last Radio was JVC but I had two head units the ribbon cable popped out of and at 1300 each I went a different direction, non movable front face.
But not too awful badly...
I had to adjust the center off just a bit for the balance fad but other than that its a good medium radio for cheap price.

I could only find the one with Android Logo on it from China....
There are other Android Radios in the US but almost everything electyronic comes from China anyhow...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I actually like my AVH-X3800BHS. Sounds good to my ears and I have a backup camera and a forward facing camera installed. $245.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I installed a pioneer AVHP8400BH in 2013 and it still rocks and has been problem free. Have you considered going with an older used unit?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Local audio shop where I buy all my stuff pushes pioneer as their #1 brand, I prefer Alpine decks which they get for me. One of their reasons why they are huge fans of pioneer is how they do warranty work, they are excellent to deal with. Alpine on the other hand is a PITA to work with.

All manufacturers will only warranty their products when purchased through a authorized
seller. It's kinda the gamble people take when ordering online. Save a few bucks w/o a warranty or support a local shop which can often times be cheaoermvs crutchfield and have a warranty.

I do agree though, consider a 1-2 year old higher end used deck vs a bargain basement new piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the fact that one can control 2 cameras. And it wa getting pretty good reviews .
The other thing that turned out to be really nice is the dual Bluetooth connections. I have to keep separate personal and work phones due to current DoD configuration policies (used to be no Bluetooth at all). So, I can take calls from either phone (or not!).

I thought to get s CarPlay HU, but the price was more than I wanted to spend, and I prefer Waze on my iPhone so one of the benefits to CarPlay was irrelevant.

I'm sure there are lots of good and even better options out there, but my experience with the Pioneer continues to be very positive.

I got mine on EBay. I think a few folks have it for under $240 now. I went with someone with good reviews and also relatively close to Virginia.

·
Registered
625 Posts
webwarmiller,
Once again you've done all my homework for me. The one thing I'm struggling with is Pioneer bought off Amazon. I read umpteen reviews of the Pioneer AVH receivers at Amazon and the X2700BS and X2800BS were not getting great reviews and also people were bitching that Pioneer would not honor their warranty if bought from Amazon. Here's a link to the Pioneer website stating as much: Pioneer Car Audio Video Authorized Internet Dealers | Pioneer Electronics USA

Crazy, ain't it? I've been eyeballing that Kenwood model also. It must be the only thing cheaper at Crutchfield than Amazon. LOL
It's a risk that you have to decide if you're willing to take or not. Crutchfield does have the AVH-X2700BS on sale for $250. When you purchase a HU from them they discount all necessary install parts by 50% so the total price isn't that different from Amazon ($340). They might be cheaper depending on whether or not you live in a state where Amazon chargers sales tax (they do here in TX). I do notice that Crutchfield is now bundling the receivers with the Axxess ASWC-1 and Axxess XSVI-6522-NAV in order to accomplish steering wheel controls/RAP instead of the PAC RP4-CH11. I wish I could tell you is one provided additional features over the other but I can't. I think most prefer the PAC unit as it combines everything into a single box as opposed to the Axxess which requires two.

Anyway, you can't really blame MFG's for how they warranty car stereo items. Many won't even warranty items if not professionally installed. It's not like buying a Home Theater receiver where you simply plug it into a wall. I worked as an installer way back in the early 90's and people fry amps/HU/speakers all the time due to DIY install mistakes. If you order from Amazon make sure to choose the item where Amazon is both the seller AND shipper (not just fulfilled by). This way you are dealing with Amazon directly if you have any issues.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just get the OEM 430 unit that people sell on this forum...
The OP is trying to get better sound out of his system. All the MOPAR HU's have the same sound profile that reduces the bass as the volume is increased (in an attempt to protect the poor speakers) and have the same extremely limited bass/mid/treble controls. Going with the 430 is about increasing features that have nothing to do with sound quality.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you buy it make sure to ask them to send you some information....

MarkWhite

Can you point me in the direction of where you got that radio from? That looks really awesome.

Thanks
If you buy it make sure to ask them to send you some information....
PDF of the User Manual In English.
User Settings in General password like 6789 or something like that.
General extras Administrator settings or something to that effect 123456 is that one.
That will allow you to set the boot screen to Jeep Like I did mine.
You will need to switch the SD card to see it holds 32 gigs but you have to enter into the admin panel to set it to compatible then it works fine.

US Double 2 DIN 7'' Capacitive Android 4 4 Car Stereo DVD Player GPS WiFi Camera | eBay
It came from China but I had it in six days.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, here's what's on order.
Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS
PAC RP4-CH11 Interface
Scosche CR1291B Dash Kit
Metra 40-EV10 Antenna adapter
2 Esky EC170-06 Cameras Front and Rear

Right around $400. I saw I was unclear in my OP in that I was figuring $300 for the HU only and probably another $100 for installation hardware and the cameras. I can't wait to put this together. I hope the wiring of the PAC is straight forward. Thanks for all the advice, all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts