Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very happy with my '12 JK, but the stock bumpers seem kind of "plasticky" to me. Can someone recommend a set of metal ones?

Yes, I know I can go on any number of various websites and search every vendor. That's the problem... I have. And there are so many choices that I don't know where to start!

My considerations include ease of installation, design and cost.

Thoughts? Thank you! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am very happy with my '12 JK, but the stock bumpers seem kind of "plasticky" to me. Can someone recommend a set of metal ones?

Yes, I know I can go on any number of various websites and search every vendor. That's the problem... I have. And there are so many choices that I don't know where to start!

My considerations include ease of installation, design and cost.

Thoughts? Thank you! :thumb:
You'll get more replies if you tell us what you intend to do with your Jeep. Everybody wants a fabulously designed bumper that's cheap and easy enough to install that their dog could do it. :D

Are you planning on wheeling your Jeep? If so, recovery points or space for a winch would probably be important to you. Are you worried about weight? Are bigger tires (and perhaps a tire carrier) in your future? If you just want a bumper that looks cool that's entirely subjective...

More data, please.

·
Registered
288 Posts
kbwwolf said:
you'll get more replies if you tell us what you intend to do with your jeep. Everybody wants a fabulously designed bumper that's cheap and easy enough to install that their dog could do it. :d

are you planning on wheeling your jeep? If so, recovery points or space for a winch would probably be important to you. Are you worried about weight? Are bigger tires (and perhaps a tire carrier) in your future? If you just want a bumper that looks cool that's entirely subjective...

More data, please.
x2

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll get more replies if you tell us what you intend to do with your Jeep. Everybody wants a fabulously designed bumper that's cheap and easy enough to install that their dog could do it. :D

Are you planning on wheeling your Jeep? If so, recovery points or space for a winch would probably be important to you. Are you worried about weight? Are bigger tires (and perhaps a tire carrier) in your future? If you just want a bumper that looks cool that's entirely subjective...

More data, please.
Excellent point, sorry I didn't do that from the get-go. While I'd like to see some 4-wheeling in my future, I am realistic at this point that this is more for "daily driving" than anything else. So I have no rea$on right now to armor it up like a military Humvee, as cool as that'd look. :rolleyes:

So we can avoid the real heavy-duty stuff, which thereby also means that I don't need something very heavy that would add tons of weight.

I guess I'm saying "What is a simple metal bumper kit" for the JK? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I hate the give the non useful answer, but if you don't need any real function out of it, I would just pick out the one you like the look of. I know personally, I had wanted a nice full width bumper, like the aires or rampage recovery. after a few wheeling trips, I realized I wanted a stubby (easier to drive offroad with), with winch and recovery points, as well as a stinger (again, offroad protection). After looking at the different stubbies, I went with the EVO 1/4 pounder with stinger, because it fit the bill for what I need, and looks sexy as hell.

So again, if you think you have no specific needs, just go on looks. Metal is metal, just be sure to search the forums for whatever one you like to make sure there are no known issues (like bad powdercoating)

·
Registered
42 Posts
We have the Smittybilt SRC bumper (76722) and it looks nice. The lower bolts were a PITA to install (I did two upside down because there's no way to get a socket in there).

Amazon has it for ~$450 and free shipping. We got ours from the local 4wp store because it came with two free lights and a wiring kit for $500 + tax.

I installed the lights to come on with the factory fog light switch [but using the relay and a wire from the battery]) and they work great.

We have a winch in there now, but that's what it looked like without a winch.

The DRings are about $13 each.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

Those were the type of ideas I was hopin' for to get me started in the right direction (instead of aimless internet-wandering).

Cheers! :Thanx:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Personally, I would go with the Mopar winch front and rear bumpers.
x2. Though I heard they're quite heavy.
They are heavy, but it is a full width bumper. The rear I was able to do myself, but the front is easier with a helper. The front will only sag after the winch is in. I've been very happy with mine. I recomend the front skid and rear tire carrier while you are at it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Ah okay, that was indeed what I was worrying about; having to upgrade the springs as well due to the weight.

Would the same apply for the Rugged ridge XHD? Have not done any research about this one yet, so I don't know about price tags ecc. However I have seen it quite a few times on the WF and the looks are similair to the Mopar

Rugged Ridge XHD

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Both are heavy bumpers. The mopar is around 100 lbs, I think. The RR I don't know...it's modular, so finding out a weight is tough.

The RR looks great, but I didn't buy it cuz I live in a cold climate where they use salt on the roads in the winter. I was afraid salt would get into the gaps where parts bolt together and eat the bumper up.

You wouldn't necessarily have to change your springs to compensate for the added weight. A set of spacers would be plenty, size depending on how much sag you encountered.

If you're looking for something much lighter, and not as expensive, check this out:

Front: Body Armor JK-19531 - Body Armor 4x4 Front High Clearance Bumper in Textured Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Back: Body Armor 4x4 Rear High Clearance Bumper and Tire Carrier in Textured Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hmm, never thought of the salt-issue. Good point though. It's the reason I will order my Jeep (haven't got it....yet) in Natural Green cause it is, together with silver, the only metallic colour available. Too bad the other colours (like crush, detonator or gecko!) are not available in metallic. But that's another story....Back to the bumpers!

I do not get the need of spacers. How do they make up for the added weight?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I do not get the need of spacers. How do they make up for the added weight?
If you put heavy front / rear bumpers on, you're adding weight to the vehicle, which will cause your suspension to sag. If you lose 3/4" because of the added weight, you can buy 3/4" spacers to put on top of your springs, which will restore your Jeep to it's original height.

It's just like a leveling kit used to correct the rake that JK's come with, except in this instance you're correcting for the heavier bumpers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts