Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my stock Pads and Rotors.

Any pro tips?
Any packages or brands I should look out for?

Not looking for crazy performance just your regular Daily Driver with light off-roading.

Thanks!
Matt N.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
For 10 years now, I have used Wagner Thermoquiet brake pads on all of my vehicles and I have been very happy with the performance. I used either Wagner or Raybestos rotors.
I buy the Wagner brake pads on Amazon currently priced at $35.78 for the front. The exact same Wagner pads sold at O'Reilly Auto Parts sells for $63.99. The rear are $34.78 on Amazon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10-4 Thanks. I'll take a look at these right away. I was also looking into the powerstop brand from Extreme Terrain for like $305. it has everything you need. Didn't know if anyone had any experience with that or not.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have heard good things about the Powerstop brand but I have never used their brakes. The Wagner pads and Raybestos Rotors would cost you $209 for 4 rotors and all new pads from Amazon. The front Raybestos rotors are $32.91 and the rear are $36.86. I looked at the Extreme Terrain site and the full package for the Power Stop Z23 is $304 and it looks like that is a performance upgrade from the stock setup. These sell this same Power Stop package on Amazon and it gets very good reviews. I would not mind trying out those Power Stops.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FKB9FA/?tag=powsto07-20

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/catalog-part-search.html

Auto Parts Finder | Wagner Brake and Lighting

·
Registered
899 Posts
You doing them yourself?

I only ask because there are some that have had issues with a fading brake pedal when working on the brake system and the ABS module solenoids need to be cycled - and only a dealer can do this.

Some say it only matters if you open the system - yet others have reported the issue with just a simple brake bleed - so, just a word of caution.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have heard good things about the Powerstop brand but I have never used their brakes. The Wagner pads and Raybestos Rotors would cost you $209 for 4 rotors and all new pads from Amazon. The front Raybestos rotors are $32.91 and the rear are $36.86. I looked at the Extreme Terrain site and the full package for the Power Stop Z23 is $304 and it looks like that is a performance upgrade from the stock setup. These sell this same Power Stop package on Amazon and it gets very good reviews. I would not mind trying out those Power Stops.

https://www.brakepartsinc.com/raybestos/en-us/catalog-part-search.html

Auto Parts Finder | Wagner Brake and Lighting
I ordered and installed the power stop z36 brake pad and rotor kit this past weekend. Autozone had a 20% discount code for ordering online. The kit is complete with grease and clips. There are some good online install videos specifically for jk and power stop. The break-in process is a little tough to manage out on the roadways, 40 to 10 mph 5 times and then 35 to 5 5 times, or something like that, it is to burn off the extra resin on the pads.

My front pads we're almost like new and the rear drivers side ground down to metal. Could've got away with just doing rear pads, but the rotor was bad due to the grinding. I will replace just the rears in 30k. I also replaced abs sensors, was having esc light issues. There were shavings from the pad stuck to the rear abs sensor. That was causing its own set of issues, it's running really good now!

Overall, I would give the power stop a positive review so far.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You doing them yourself?

I only ask because there are some that have had issues with a fading brake pedal when working on the brake system and the ABS module solenoids need to be cycled - and only a dealer can do this.

Some say it only matters if you open the system - yet others have reported the issue with just a simple brake bleed - so, just a word of caution.

Typically yeah. This comment has me rethinking all that. Thanks for your tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You doing them yourself?

I have changed the brakes myself on my 2013 JKU and I have had no problems at all. I could just be lucky though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Would the Power Stop K2798 Front and Rear Z23 Evolution Brake Kit with Drilled/Slotted Rotors and Ceramic Brake Pads fit 16" wheels? I run 315/75/16.

I am worried that I might need to upgrade to 17" wheels before getting this kit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I installed the PowerStop Z36 Extreme with drilled and slotted rotors on my WJ and they work well. They are a little loud though. Not squeaky loud like is common, but a rhythmic rubbing sound from the pads sliding over the holes and grooves in the rotor. I'd never had drilled/slotted rotors before and didn't realize it would add that much more brake noise. Overall I'm still happy with them, but I probably wouldn't put them on the JK because of that. It's fairly annoying with the windows down.

FYI They were the same size as the stock

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

Do you know if there has been a change from 2013 to 2015? When I clicked on the link I got a warning that they would not fit my 2015 Sahara. (I had set the Amazon filter to warn and filter parts.) When I changed it to 2017, it still stated the kit would no fit.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Do you know if there has been a change from 2013 to 2015? When I clicked on the link I got a warning that they would not fit my 2015 Sahara. (I had set the Amazon filter to warn and filter parts.) When I changed it to 2017, it still stated the kit would no fit.
According to the Power Stop web site, The part number is the same for a 2015 Jeep Wrangler. Just a tip when buying ANY auto parts on Amazon, I always go to the manufacturer's web site to look up part numbers because Amazon very often lists the wrong part numbers. I have bought many auto parts on Amazon and they list parts for the vehicle I am shopping for and when I check on the manufacturer's web site, it most times gives me a different part number than what Amazon does. The manufacturer's web site always ends up being correct.

You can look up your correct Power Stop part numbers here.

https://www.powerstop.com/product/power-stop-z23-kit/#y=2015&mk=JEEP&mo=WRANGLER

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I had/have the Powerstop in the front.

Goods:
-I no longer get brake fade towing my pop up camper.
-Look cool
-It is a complete kit, including clips, grease, rotors and pads.

Bads:
-Pads did not last. I got about 10k out of the pads. I replaced the pads with thermoquitet pads and they are about half gone at 20k. I left the rotors as is.
-Braking power stayed the same. I did not notice any INCREASE in braking power, however they ran cooler lessening my brake fade.

I would buy them again.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I just want quiet and no dust.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Contact Blaine with Black Magic. He's a brake wizard :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been considering getting this kit. Supposed to be the same as the PowerStop.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I've been considering getting this kit. Supposed to be the same as the PowerStop.
I consider the brakes and suspension to be the most important systems in any vehicle. It is an inconvenience at worst if it won't run, but if it won't stop or is erratic in handling it can be downright dangerous.

I simply will not trust my life and the lives of others to something from ebay that I am not 100% certain of it's heritage. Even if the product claimed to be PowerStop, for that price it is not safe.

When something is too good to be true, it usually is, and that price is too good to be true. That's even cheaper than the NAPA house brand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts