Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ is a 97. It still has all stock suspension at 20 years old. It isn't too terribly rusty considering it has been through 20 Pennsylvania winters. I don't do any intense off roading. No rock climbing or anything like that. I'd just like to be able to drive down a trail without feeling like something is going to break from being old, worn out, and rusty. I'm just looking for any recommendations for I guess what would basically be the minimum I would need to safely drive off road. I'm a college student so I don't have a ton of money to spend on a lift lol. I just don't know anything about that sort of thing and wouldn't have a clue of what to look for.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
If you plan to stick with stock size tires, there are several people who have replaced their stock springs with H&R springs.

The best value "for the quality, function, ride, and price" are the Zone Offroad Kits. 3" or the 4.25" Combo kit.

Just avoid Skyjacker and Rough Country...while they offer inexpensive kits, the ride is horrible.

·
Registered
808 Posts
x2 on what Dextreme said. Also if you are looking at a small lift amount, look at BDS 2" suspension lift.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
Before investing in lift need to realistically asses exact extent of rust as if critical component attachments are rust compromised need to address that before any money spent on lift

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you plan to stick with stock size tires, there are several people who have replaced their stock springs with H&R springs.

The best value "for the quality, function, ride, and price" are the Zone Offroad Kits. 3" or the 4.25" Combo kit.

Just avoid Skyjacker and Rough Country...while they offer inexpensive kits, the ride is horrible.
I would like to get bigger tires. I plan on doing that in a few weeks. From what I've researched I think I should be able to run 31 inch tires with stock suspension?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before investing in lift need to realistically asses exact extent of rust as if critical component attachments are rust compromised need to address that before any money spent on lift

How do I determine if these components are compromised?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would like to get bigger tires. I plan on doing that in a few weeks. From what I've researched I think I should be able to run 31 inch tires with stock suspension?
Yes, 31's will work with the stock suspension...and they also look/work great with a 2" lift.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, 31's will work with the stock suspension...and they also look/work great with a 2" lift.
If I did end up doing a lift I wouldn't want to go more than 2". But lets say I didn't go with a lift, what would be the important parts that I should consider replacing in the suspension?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
If I did end up doing a lift I wouldn't want to go more than 2". But lets say I didn't go with a lift, what would be the important parts that I should consider replacing in the suspension?
Springs, shocks, and swaybar links are the main thing.

Some will also change out the control arm bushings if the they are cracked/worn (or some will replace all 8 control arms with stock replacements and not want to deal with pressing out/in bushings)

·
Registered
808 Posts

FYI 2" coil springs are not much more expensive than H&R or factory replacements.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Man, I hate lifting a rusty rig. What should take 4 hours, ends up taking an entire weekend because of broken bolts. Start squirting all the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil early and often. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man, I hate lifting a rusty rig. What should take 4 hours, ends up taking an entire weekend because of broken bolts. Start squirting all the nuts and bolts with penetrating oil early and often. Good luck!
Besides the rust making it difficult, would you say working on suspension is a fairly simple thing? i just don't want to try to tackle something I won't be able to do on my own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Springs, shocks, and swaybar links are the main thing.

Some will also change out the control arm bushings if the they are cracked/worn (or some will replace all 8 control arms with stock replacements and not want to deal with pressing out/in bushings)
Would you recommend just getting a basic replacement part or upgrading to more of a performance part?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Besides the rust making it difficult, would you say working on suspension is a fairly simple thing? i just don't want to try to tackle something I won't be able to do on my own.
It's not super difficult but it can be challenging if you are fighting with rusty components. Also getting pieces to line up can be challenging. I have yet to work on Jeep suspension, only Acura, so maybe it's easier than I am assuming.

How is your body rust? Have you decided on a lift kit yet?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts