Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the Quadratec site recommends a different 5 tire rotation compared to other sites and forums.

Quadratec recommends
jeep-5-tire-rotation-V1.jpg

Other sites
jeep-5-tire-rotation-V2.jpg

I would like to use one of these 5 tire rotation patterns. Is it just a personal preference?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,525 Posts
Hey there,

That is a preference and some shops do it differently. Both are doing the same just making sure that the tires are wearing equally.

Have a great day,
Hailey

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate your comments!

I didn't want to just assume it was simply personal preference. It made some sense to me to place the spare in a front position earlier in the rotation (assuming the spare is new).

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Once you pick one though, print off the diagram and keep it in your Jeep and if you ever have anyone else do them for you, put it on the seat and tell them to follow it.

As mentioned... either is fine... but you want to be consistent.

If you do the first one... then the second one... then the first one again... that same tire is back on the tire carrier.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you pick one though, print off the diagram and keep it in your Jeep and if you ever have anyone else do them for you, put it on the seat and tell them to follow it.

As mentioned... either is fine... but you want to be consistent.

If you do the first one... then the second one... then the first one again... that same tire is back on the tire carrier.
Great point!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I just go in a counter clockwise rotation.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
It's worth nothing that this is recommended by nobody at all. :)

Why not use one of the ones noted above?
It does the same thing as the others. Each tire spends the same amount of time on the road and all get placed in each corner. Also, much easier to track what tire goes where.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It does the same thing as the others. Each tire spends the same amount of time on the road and all get placed in each corner. Also, much easier to track what tire goes where.
Yeah, you're probably right. I'm sure there's nothing to this and all these silly diagrams are just to make engineering nerds feel smug.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discount Tire recommends a 5-tire counter-clockwise pattern on their website. It does seem to be the easiest to remember and as long as a tire is rotated through every position, what does it matter?

The only possible downside to a CCW pattern that I can see it that a tire will spend two consecutive rotation periods on the front axle, which could increase wear if you have a toe or camber problem.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Discount Tire recommends a 5-tire counter-clockwise pattern on their website. It does seem to be the easiest to remember and as long as a tire is rotated through every position, what does it matter?

The only possible downside to a CCW pattern that I can see it that a tire will spend two consecutive rotation periods on the front axle, which could increase wear if you have a toe or camber problem.
You are correct, but if you are rotating every 5000 miles, you should be able to spot uneven wear early and fix the issue. I have been doing this for 85,000 miles with this jeep and have not come across any issues.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
To be fair, the Discount Tire site only shows a single pattern for 5 wheel rotation and makes no accounting for FWD/AWD/4x4 etc.

Not to disparage them, but I don't think that was written by someone that knows what they're talking about.

·
Registered
422 Posts
To be fair, the Discount Tire site only shows a single pattern for 5 wheel rotation and makes no accounting for FWD/AWD/4x4 etc.

Not to disparage them, but I don't think that was written by someone that knows what they're talking about.
It's possible that they do know what they're talking about and that there really isn't any meaninful concern over whether a vehicle is FWD/AWD/4x4. Some of those legends die hard. Logically there shouldn't be any difference due to the rotation pattern as long as each tire spends equal time in each position. There may be more to it, but absent any evidence logic is always a good place to start.

Some long-term testing would be the only way to evaluate objectively but I'm not aware of anyone who has done that.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'd say that 90% of Wrangler owners do 4 tire rotations if they even do that. I've bought a few sets of used wheels with tires off of Craigslist and they always seem to be 4 with 4/32" and 1 with 10/32" on 4 year old tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I noticed that the Quadratec site recommends a different 5 tire rotation compared to other sites and forums.

Quadratec recommends
View attachment 4141983

Other sites
View attachment 4141985

I would like to use one of these 5 tire rotation patterns. Is it just a personal preference?
In doing a rotation today, we put the jack under the differential and lifted up both back tires, upon which the car started to roll (on the front tires). I guess we never knew they putting on the park brake and putting the car in park only affects the back tires. Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
You can count yourself lucky to have lived to learned.
Jack stands. And more importantly, wheel chocks. Why would you ever jack a wheel, any wheel, off the ground without using two chocks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,856 Posts
Consider more YouTubing.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tires on jeep can be very heavy and wheels can be stuck on. So you may be yanking, kicking while up, So extra care is merited when the vehicle is up. For rotation I would:
1) Crack each front lug 1/4 turn.
2) crack each rear lug 1/2 turn
3) while on the ground turn fronts with steering wheel turned left and right a bit to unstick the wheels, and move the vehicle a couple of feet foreword and back.
4) remove your spare
5) for front, man. tran in reverse, auto in park, handbrake up like a mother and improvised chocks like bricks ok
6) when you do rears I would have front down, in 4wd low and in reverse and four actual purpose made chocks front to back on both front wheels. With some rotation patterns you may end up replicating some lifting but that wont take much longer. I would also keep a bit of minor tension on floor jack in addition to the mandatory jack stands
7) fronts are easier to break free if they are stuck by turning steering while it is on ground with lugs slightly loosened. You cant do that with rears but I have found beating the rear tire from back of them at four and eight o'clock with a floor jack handle or baseball bat breaks them free.

If you use anti-seize use only a small amount, you dont want it working its way into places it doesn't belong. And get it off your hands before you touch the tire. I have one tire with a permanent silver hand print on it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts