Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a 3.5 rubicon superflex lift with 35s on a stock 02 Sahara. Any recommendations for brake adjustments/upgrades needed? Not looking to go all out, something economical.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
easy choice - Vanco brake upgrade from Savvy Off-Road. Bigger calipers, bigger rotors and Black Magic Pads.

I'm running the 15" wheel kit with upgraded 48mm dual piston calipers, with BMB pads and it stops better than a bone stock rig, in all conditions.

It's hard to describe...you have to drive one...then you'll realize you can surprise even the high performance sports car crowd with quick & controlled stops.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
easy choice - Vanco brake upgrade from Savvy Off-Road. Bigger calipers, bigger rotors and Black Magic Pads.

I'm running the 15" kit with upgraded 48mm dual piston calipers, with BMB pads and it stops better than a bone stock rig, in all conditions.
X2, I had the Vanco Big Brake upgrade kit from www.vancopbs.com on my previous (stolen) TJ & it worked great to restore the braking performance lost due to the larger diameter 35" tires. I wish I could afford that kit again for my replacement TJ.

If that kit is temporarily too much $$$, at the very least order Black Magic's brake pad & rotor kit from Blaine Johnson at BlackMagicBrakes.com

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
By the way... one of the key benefits of the Big Brake kit from Vanco and its new calipers is they are more powerful dual-piston calipers vs. the single-piston calipers that the OE brakes include. That plus the caliper frame is stronger/reinforced so it doesn't warp under heavy braking. Between the dual pistons pushing on a bigger surface area of the pads so they stay in better contact with the rotors, and the stronger frame, you get dramatically (!) better braking.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Well, probably not yet though there is no such thing as too good of a braking system. The usual point at which more powerful brakes are usually needed is pretty much the 35" tire size.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
I did too until I started running 35" tires on my TJ. NAPA doesn't carry brakes for Wranglers that were designed for that tough of a braking job.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
I'm happy know the brakes I get from NAPA are enough for my 33s. :thumb:
That's not to say that the Black Magic pads & rotors by themselves wouldn't be a nice upgrade that will give much better braking for your 33's than what you can get from NAPA. :)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Definitely. I couldn't afford the full Vanco Big Brake kit for my present TJ after having had it on my previous (stolen) TJ so I went with just the Black Magic pads for my 35's for now. Big noticeable improvement in braking performance.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks Jerry. I'll look into the Black Magic once I'm ready for new brakes.

I'll put them on the growing list of other items I need to get to fix my mistakes. :(

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Definitely. I couldn't afford the full Vanco Big Brake kit for my present TJ after having had it on my previous (stolen) TJ so I went with just the Black Magic pads for my 35's for now. Big noticeable improvement in braking performance.
Did you keep stock calipers or did you do the black magic upgrade as well?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts