Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to go off a chart. I want someone's experience with my PIG of a 4cyl. I'm not going to swap to a 4.0 so I want to just make the 2.5 work with 33's. So what's the consensus on 33's? 4.88? lower? Right now I never hit 5th on the highway and it's 3rd gear heading uphill. Thoughts? I'll wait for the bad news :/

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the 4 banger and I was running 4:56 and it was barly ok with the 33s so I'd deff go 4:88s it'd probably be perfect.. The jeeps at the shop right now getting 5:13s because I switched to 35s

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. That was exactly the feedback I was hoping for. It would not be unlike me to move up to 35's in the future. I wonder if I could hit highway speeds fine with 33's and 5.13?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
by the way are you gearing your stock dana axles or have you swapped out? I'm reading a lot about the dana 30's being weak links but I was really not hoping to have to do an axle swap and I want to crawl but not play KOH.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
4.88 would be the ideal setup for your 4 cylinder

The D30 is fine up to a 35" tire and locker. Throw in some chromoly shafts for piece of mind. The rear, however, is a different story. The D35 is limited to a 33" and even then that is pushing it. I would save for an 8.8 from ECGS or if your handy with a welder, build your own 8.8. You could shop for a D44 but they are hard to come by, and in my area they are worth their own weight in gold. Or, another option would be the super35 kit from revolution gear and axle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
by the way are you gearing your stock dana axles or have you swapped out? I'm reading a lot about the dana 30's being weak links but I was really not hoping to have to do an axle swap and I want to crawl but not play KOH.
It's a Dana 30 and Dana 44 and I think 5:13 and 33s would be to much cause even with the 35s according to the calculator at 60 I'm gonna be a 3000rpm if your never gonna go bigger I think the 4:88s will be perfect for you because like I said the 4:56 were do able

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
The D30 is fine up to a 35" tire and locker. Throw in some chromoly shafts for piece of mind.
My D30 busted its passenger-side OE axle shaft with 35's on the trail shortly after I installed a front locker. I'd recommend alloy chromoly shafts sooner rather than later for anyone wanting to run 35's and a locker on their Dana 30.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Figured I'd update you I picked up my jeep and have been driving it with the 5:13s and 35s and I absolutely love it but now that I've driven it I definitely think you could get away with 33s and 5:13s for awhile the Rpm calculator was way off at 65mph I'm right on 2750 it was saying I'd be at 3k at 60mph

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
the Rpm calculator was way off at 65mph I'm right on 2750 it was saying I'd be at 3k at 60mph
Charts/some calculators are normally inaccurate like that due to them only showing the RPMs when the transmission is in its 1:1 gear speed. That'd be 4th gear with a 5-speed or 5th gear with a 6-speed. Such results are very misleading to most non-gearheads who look at them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Floridajeeper, thanks for posting back about that. I am about to pull the trigger on the gears (probably today) and your info is very helpful. With the 4cyl I'd way rather have a little extra power and less speed. It's a jeep not a porsche after all.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,381 Posts
To make sure, you want 4.88 with 33's and the 2.5 four cylinder engine when the transmission is the 5-speed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts