Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on good roof racks. Looks like Gobi has a nice one but was hoping to find something less expensive than $1500. I want something versatile that I can add a cargo carrier to or throw kayaks on, etc. thanks!

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Gobi is one of the best but there are other good options depending on your needs. MBRP, Rhino and AEV also offer quality racks. In addition, the usual suspects in the low end of the spectrum offer some reasonable products and not a bad choice if you only use it occasionally and or carry smaller or lighter loads.

There is a lot of good discussion about racks on the Expedition and Overland thread. Check it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have not received the new Willys yet but a roof rack is one of our first mods. We really don't want one of those exoskeleton looking things and have both tops. We are thinking of going with Yakima rain gutter type towers with the Side Loader bars in the back of the hard top. The trailer won't work because we will be towing the JK behind our motor home making it a triple tow, not legal in all states.

The kayaks pretty much will travel south in winter then back in the spring. HT off when we get both places. Does this sound like a good option? They only weigh 49lbs each.

·
Supporting Vendor
261 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on good roof racks. Looks like Gobi has a nice one but was hoping to find something less expensive than $1500. I want something versatile that I can add a cargo carrier to or throw kayaks on, etc. thanks!
We have a patent pending roof rack coming out here very soon that allows the user to put the soft top up and down without removing any cargo from the roof rack or hinging it out of the way, just putting the final touches on it now...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Just to let you know, the racks will block the satellite reception for XM Sirius. Most people move the antenna down to the wiper grill. There are post on this issue.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thule gutter mounts and load bars work great with the hardtop for a cheap and affordable solution. I went this option as I only need a roof rack during the winter ski season to pack around my Yakima skybox for the snowboard/ski gear. I have packed my box close to 125lbs of gear with no issues with the top or loadbars. The bars will easily hold your kayaks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where are you located? I have a used Gobi for sale, Bay Area california

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thule gutter mounts and load bars work great with the hardtop for a cheap and affordable solution. I went this option as I only need a roof rack during the winter ski season to pack around my Yakima skybox for the snowboard/ski gear. I have packed my box close to 125lbs of gear with no issues with the top or loadbars. The bars will easily hold your kayaks.
Thanks for that info. We ordered the side loader bars, Yakima 1A towers, round bars and end caps. Hope to see a brown truck stopping soon!

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm very happy with my Thule rack and Hullavator:

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have a patent pending roof rack coming out here very soon that allows the user to put the soft top up and down without removing any cargo from the roof rack or hinging it out of the way, just putting the final touches on it now...
Subscribed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the great suggestions from everyone. As a new JK owner I am really impressed with all the content of this forum. For the rack, I did decide to spend the money and get the Gobi. Ultimately for me it came down to the fact that I liked the look and also wanted to have the versatility to put heavier loads up there when needed. Thanks for all the support on this.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've got a friend with the Gobi rack and it's probably as tough as they come. Construction is second to none. He loves how he can load it up with whatever he wants. Only complaint is that it makes taking the hardtop off and on a real chore. It basically needs to go off to the side which means we have to lift it up and over the roll bars instead of just sliding it off the back. Just food for thought. :)

Like this (start at 10:07):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HklKyn27Go#t=689

After he removes the top this guy builds a fancy contraption in his garage to assist with removing the top. Pretty cool, but what an effort..

·
Registered
489 Posts
How close is this patent and when will we be able to learn more details?

·
Supporting Vendor
261 Posts
How close is this patent and when will we be able to learn more details?
We roof rack is already patent pending, we are taking some initial pics this weekend and will be posting them up early next week! The photo shoot is scheduled for next Wednesday. The rack should be available for sale by the end of October. Let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What's the status on this now? Is it available? Can you send me some information, please?

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
261 Posts
What's the status on this now? Is it available? Can you send me some information, please?
I just got word that we should be able to post pics of it on monday finally!!!! We just installed a new production model here yesterday on our JK, and we will finally get to show it off very soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts