Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
How hard do you plan on wheeling? I've wheeled hard before I even touched the front D44. And I only sleeved and gusseted cuz I did all the labor. I ran pritchett canyon and behind the rocks without any modifications to the front axle. As long as your not going king of the hammers you'll be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The Recon axle is the housing with the J8 tubes. The one in your photo with the big C is a G2 aftermarket housing.
No need to worry about bending the factory C. It's not the actual C that bends it's the Tube at the C weld that bends .. a properly done sleeve job and C gussets (the gussets support the tubes at the welds) will solve that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
How hard are you gonna wheel that you think you require the sleeves or new housing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Recon axle is the housing with the J8 tubes. The one in your photo with the big C is a G2 aftermarket housing.
No need to worry about bending the factory C. It's not the actual C that bends it's the Tube at the C weld that bends .. a properly done sleeve job and C gussets (the gussets support the tubes at the welds) will solve that problem.

Pic on right is the recon housing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm looking for info on the recon front axle,not really looking to debate my axle or it's limitations ,just the info for future

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
Here are some specs for the Recon axle compared to the regular Rubi front D44

Tube wall: 3/8" vs 1/4"
Brackets: 1/4" vs 3/16"?

The Cs are heavier as well, I don't have the measurements, but as someone else previously noted, it's typically not the C itself that bends, it's the tube at the C.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
And where did you find those specs. What is the OD of the axle tube ?? Last I saw it was the Mopar Performance HD housing PN P5160036

·
Registered
925 Posts
How hard are you gonna wheel that you think you require the sleeves or new housing.
I'm new to Jeeps and I read this type response over and over.

Keeping my 32 wheels (going 33 at some point), I don't plan on wheeling hard at all, but I'm wondering if hitting potholes off-road (dirt road) or on the road at higher speed could do any damage to an axle with original setup. Or (since of course everything is possible), let me rephrase my question. Would hitting potholes under such conditions generally worry folks here or is it a rather non-issue?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
A JK with just a Dana 30 up front, with some care can do the Rubicon without snapping the Dana 30. I think it would be unlikely to damage a Dana 44 on a pothole. Might knock out the alignment a little.

Reactions: JCS2179

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
I have a Standard Rubicon and have been looking into sleeving and trussing mine prior to wheeling too hard ,I noticed there is an "upgraded" axle housing with the J8 tubes but standard looking "C's" .Does anyone offer the Recon Rubicon front axle with the huge "C's" yet?
Take a look at the Spicer Ultimate Dana 44.

Larger diameter tubes that are 5/16 thick, Electronic locker, 1/4" thick bracketry, options for caster correction and raised track bar mounting, and WAY HEAVIER C castings! Rated for 37" tires in the gear ratio of your choice.

$3000!!!!

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
Take a look at the Spicer Ultimate Dana 44.

Larger diameter tubes that are 5/16 thick, Electronic locker, 1/4" thick bracketry, options for caster correction and raised track bar mounting, and WAY HEAVIER C castings! Rated for 37" tires in the gear ratio of your choice.

$3000!!!!

Look again. Same diameter tube as stock just thicker wall (J8 tubes). The Spicer Ultimate is the same housing as the Mopar Performance D44 PN P5160036.
http://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/a...mate-dana-44-front-axles-for-jeep-wrangler-jk

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Look again. Same diameter tube as stock just thicker wall (J8 tubes). The Spicer Ultimate is the same housing as the Mopar Performance D44 PN P5160036.
Ultimate Dana 44™ Front Axles for the Jeep® Wrangler® JK - Axle | Spicer Parts

Well that's a bummer but still a pretty good deal at $3000. The drawings and pictures have seen show a much beefier c casting. I hope they made it into production. I paid $2100 for just my Teraflex 44 housing with the 1/2" thick tubes.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
The Cs are a bit heavier (not much), but then the Cs have never been a problem it's been bent tubes at the C weld. $3000 is definitely a good deal for a beefed up Rubi axle.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Has anyone swapped a standard Rubi housing for a Recon housing yet? I want to do 37's in the future, and think the Recon axle would maybe be a nice upgrade. The old J8 axle with the thicker tubes, and standard C's seemed to run $800-$1000 for the housing. I'm thinking the Recon housing with the bigger C's should be a similar price?

I don't see the need for a PR44 $$$$. I think there is a lot of fear mongering to scare people into buying full on custom axles. I've wheeled a TJ for years with 35's on a front Dana 30 with an ARB locker, and have not had any issues, even with the stock shafts.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
Has anyone swapped a standard Rubi housing for a Recon housing yet? I want to do 37's in the future, and think the Recon axle would maybe be a nice upgrade. The old J8 axle with the thicker tubes, and standard C's seemed to run $800-$1000 for the housing. I'm thinking the Recon housing with the bigger C's should be a similar price?

I don't see the need for a PR44 $$$$. I think there is a lot of fear mongering to scare people into buying full on custom axles. I've wheeled a TJ for years with 35's on a front Dana 30 with an ARB locker, and have not had any issues, even with the stock shafts.
i think you got lucky with the TJ with that setup :thumb: as others have said it's the tubes where the problem is. bent c's come from folks who aren't smart wheelers. they jump their jeeps or aren't smart with the skinny pedal. the thicker tubes is a great reason to upgrade.

·
Premium Member
9,609 Posts

For about the same price you can add nitro sleeve and the Artec Armor Kit and you will hve a much stronger axle than the J8 and in fact strong than any after market 44. $400 in parts and $600 for welding. If you don't need castor correction this would be a much better way to go than swap housings.

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
For about the same price you can add nitro sleeve and the Artec Armor Kit and you will hve a much stronger axle than the J8 and in fact strong than any after market 44. $400 in parts and $600 for welding. If you don't need castor correction this would be a much better way to go than swap housings.
better off installing a truss over a sleeve kit. installing a sleeve means you can't install an axle shaft larger than 32 spline (i think), if you truss the axle, you can install axle shafts all the way up to 35 splines. and most truss kits come with a c-gusset reinforcement too. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
9,609 Posts
better off installing a truss over a sleeve kit. installing a sleeve means you can't install an axle shaft larger than 32 spline (i think), if you truss the axle, you can install axle shafts all the way up to 35 splines. and most truss kits come with a c-gusset reinforcement too. :thumb:
With the Nitro Sleeve kit you can still install 35 spline RCV axle shafts.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts