Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I picked up a low mileage, CPO 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon. It already had some nice mods, everything seemed to be professionally done, and the price was right. Two minor things that I wanted to change were to re-enable TPMS with the appropriate target pressure and to enable DRLs. Thanks to the detailed threads about OBD JScan on WF, I was able to take care of that quick and easy.

However, while I was poking around in JScan, I noticed that the gear ratio was set to 3.73:1, not 4.10:1 that the Recon package is supposed to come with. A quick manual check of the gear ration confirmed that it is 3.73:1 ratio. Has anyone else verified which gears are in their Recon? Since I'll likely re-gear when I go up to bigger tires, I'm not too concerned about the gears themselves. I'm more concerned that the whole front axle is the base Dana 44, not the heavy duty Dana 44 that the Recon is supposed to come with.

The part number on the front axle is P68302 852AB. Unfortunately, I can't seem to match that up to any FCA part. It's close to the other Dana 44 Axles but not the same.

Any insight would be appreciated.

-m

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think the auto transmission vehicles came with 3.73 standard. The manual transmission vehicles had 4.10.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
I think the auto transmission vehicles came with 3.73 standard. The manual transmission vehicles had 4.10.
that is correct. Even the might RECON, only came with 3.73 standard on Auto trans. The 4.10's were an option except on manuals which came standard.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
About a year ago I picked up a low mileage, CPO 2018 JKU Rubicon Recon. It already had some nice mods, everything seemed to be professionally done, and the price was right. Two minor things that I wanted to change were to re-enable TPMS with the appropriate target pressure and to enable DRLs. Thanks to the detailed threads about OBD JScan on WF, I was able to take care of that quick and easy.

However, while I was poking around in JScan, I noticed that the gear ratio was set to 3.73:1, not 4.10:1 that the Recon package is supposed to come with. A quick manual check of the gear ration confirmed that it is 3.73:1 ratio. Has anyone else verified which gears are in their Recon? Since I'll likely re-gear when I go up to bigger tires, I'm not too concerned about the gears themselves. I'm more concerned that the whole front axle is the base Dana 44, not the heavy duty Dana 44 that the Recon is supposed to come with.

The part number on the front axle is P68302 852AB. Unfortunately, I can't seem to match that up to any FCA part. It's close to the other Dana 44 Axles but not the same.

Any insight would be appreciated.

-m
it is the HD 44.
this is mine and I did get the optional 4.10's for another $695. If you compare your C's to a standard D44 you will see yours are beefier.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the quick feedback. The base Rubicon with auto comes with 3.73 but the Recon's are all supposed to have 4:10's. It's actually printed in the hood graphics.

I tried pulling the build sheet from the fcacommunity site but all I get is 'No records found corresponding to the VIN provided' which is kinda odd. I recall pulling the build sheet before I bought the Jeep but didn't think to keep a copy of it.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
Thanks for all of the quick feedback. The base Rubicon with auto comes with 3.73 but the Recon's are all supposed to have 4:10's. It's actually printed in the hood graphics.

I tried pulling the build sheet from the fcacommunity site but all I get is 'No records found corresponding to the VIN provided' which is kinda odd. I recall pulling the build sheet before I bought the Jeep but didn't think to keep a copy of it.
No that is wrong. hood graphics are just that hood graphics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pics, jadmt. I noticed that you have a different part number than mine (P68321 v P68302). I'll have to take a closer look at the C's on mine to see how they compare.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Are you sure you entered the vin correctly? (I just tried my vin and the site is working OK).

Try this link.. (Cut and past it into your browser's URL input).. then put your vin right after the = sign at the end with no spaces.

Code:
https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
Thanks for the pics, jadmt. I noticed that you have a different part number than mine (P68321 v P68302). I'll have to take a closer look at the C's on mine to see how they compare.
I am guessing my 4.10 vs your 3.73. remember these are assembled at Dana spicer not jeep.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the help sorting this out. I have the heavy duty C's so I guess it's the right axle, just not the gears I was expecting.
@jwt873 - It seems that the build sheet service is case sensitive. Once I put in my VIN in upper case, I was able to get the build sheet. And to the surprise of no one (except maybe me), it only shows the standard 3.73 gears.

-m

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
The window sticker on mine shows the 4.10 as part of the standard equipment and it shows 3.73 gears added as part of the Recon 24Z package. I always thought that a little strange.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
The window sticker on mine shows the 4.10 as part of the standard equipment and it shows 3.73 gears added as part of the Recon 24Z package. I always thought that a little strange.
it shows as standard equipment because the manual is standard equipment as soon as you add an automatic transmission the 3.73 because standard on any Rubicon version.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I wanted 3.73s with the auto because I take long trips, and when I need gear reduction, I have the 4:1 transfer case. I do not plan on big tires. I had a hard time finding a Recon near me with auto and 3.73 because most of the automatic recons had the $695 4.10 option.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts