Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jku stock is what I am driving .

A few weeks we had a very big snow storm here in southern maryland and a lot of beople where getting stuck including jeeps.this got me thinking about what equipment people are using for recovery operations.

Rignt now I have two heavy tow chains and a rececer hook ( looks like a fish hook on the back of my jeeep)

Does anyone stil use these things?

Weight aside any other downside of using chains over the nylon straps ?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Jku stock is what I am driving .

A few weeks we had a very big snow storm here in southern maryland and a lot of beople where getting stuck including jeeps.this got me thinking about what equipment people are using for recovery operations.

Rignt now I have two heavy tow chains and a rececer hook ( looks like a fish hook on the back of my jeeep)

Does anyone stil use these things?

Weight aside any other downside of using chains over the nylon straps ?
Take the chains and hook and get rid of them. Get a nylon strap for towing and a recovery strap (kinetic) for recovery. If the stuck vehicle doesn't have a proper recovery point, walk away and leave it to the professionals.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Chains are heavy and can be dangerous.

For one there is no give when you use a chain. So when you start to pull the stuck vehicle there will be a lot of jarring force when the slack is removed. The recovery strap is designed to stretch a little reducing this jarring impact on both vehicles. This stretching also provides more "pull" like a rubber band.

Second the chain could be too strong, ie something on the vehicle will break before it does. The straps will fail before any vehicle damage (within reason and proper hookup).

Lastly, when something fails, either the chain or the mount will become a projectile. The recovery straps should not have metal hooks and only have loops on the end. This way there is less chance of deadly projectiles in the event of a failure.

The only downside to the straps is that you have to take care of them and replace them more often. Keep them clean and dry when in storage and inspect the strap before using it. If that colored stripe is broken, then it is time for a new strap.

In the winter I keep a recovery strap, small shovel and a bag of cheap kitty litter in the jeep for recovery. I have a beaver tail step that I use to attach the strap and it works great.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
KEEP the chains.
Good for hooking up to areas that might cut a strap. Chains can make a good pull point when none is available otherwise.

The hook you have is an open mouth hook without a closure. Not a bad choice but you can do better with a shackle. Actually if it is possible, you could mouse the hook if necessary with wire to prevent the strap from coming out of the mouth and off the hook.

I carry a hook too for those that had a hitch but nothing to place in there. Some will want to use the ball attachment but NEVER do that.

Of all the years I have wheeled I have only used the chains maybe twice or three times but they are handy.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why do you not use the ball hitch? Slippage?

The one time I did a recovery, the guy didnt have any hitch but had a pin, I used girlfriend strap from her jeep and ran it into the hitch and used his pin to ancor it in place

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Balls are ideal projectiles, and are quite prone to snapping off and taking out whatever is in their path. Straps can also slip off the ball and also become a projectile with less lethal consequences. Use D rings where you can. Keep the chains for if and when you simply cannot use a strap. They are pretty dangerous, even if it's only damage to the Jeep. But they are better than leaving the thing in the woods for a week. I carry a wide sling (about 4") to wrap around trees or rocks, a 25 ft strap (not a recovery snatch strap, but a static pull strap), and a snatch block. Don't do snatch type recovery with anything but a kinetic strap (like a Bubba rope or similar). Regular straps will destroy parts you think are indestructible.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the following in/on my jeep at all times. I think its important to have a wide range of options depending on the situation:
- Heavy duty chain
- 30,000 lb recovery strap
- 20,000 lb tow strap with looped ends
- 20,000 lb tow strap with hook ends
- 4 shackles
- Snatch block (I have a winch)
- Shovel
- Axe
- Machete
- Small saw
- Fire extinguisher
- Hi lift
- Scepter MFC Jerry can with 5 gal fuel
- Tools (socket set, screw driver, multitool, flashlight, etc.)
- Small first aid kit

I like to be prepared :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
You have to be careful when just using a hitch pin as I have seen those bend. When that happens the pin and strap can be stuck inside the hitch. Not a safety issue, but a hassle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Im also looking to put together a small kit with the essentials. Years ago I had a tow/pull strap with the hooks. Finding it again after being in storage after 15+ yrs Id say its time to upgrade. I also still have my tree protector, which that I will probably keep.

In regards to the recovery strap....I see Rugged Ridge makes a 3" by 30' rated for 30,000lbs. Any reason not to go with this one, or something similar? Warn also makes one that specs the same, but costs about twice as much. Is this marketing/paying for the name, or is the Warn version that much better?

Ive also decided that I should get a snatch block. My winch is a Warn M8000S...synthetic line obviously. It looks like I need to make sure what I get is compatible with the synthetic rope. Going back to Warn, Ive found their Epic 18,000 lbs block. Is this enough for my 8,000 lb winch, or do I need something else, or is something else better suited for what I have?

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the following in/on my jeep at all times. I think its important to have a wide range of options depending on the situation:
- Heavy duty chain
- 30,000 lb recovery strap
- 20,000 lb tow strap with looped ends
- 20,000 lb tow strap with hook ends
- 4 shackles
- Snatch block (I have a winch)
- Shovel
- Axe
- Machete
- Small saw
- Fire extinguisher
- Hi lift
- Scepter MFC Jerry can with 5 gal fuel
- Tools (socket set, screw driver, multitool, flashlight, etc.)
- Small first aid kit

I like to be prepared :)
i have most of that list. little by little i will build that out too.
i do not have a winch (yet) but i did pick up a come-a-long from HF on sale. It's listed at 8,000.

i also have a moving blanket and 1/2 gallon of fresh water that i keep with me

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I have the following in/on my jeep at all times. I think its important to have a wide range of options depending on the situation: - Heavy duty chain - 30,000 lb recovery strap - 20,000 lb tow strap with looped ends - 20,000 lb tow strap with hook ends - 4 shackles - Snatch block (I have a winch) - Shovel - Axe - Machete - Small saw - Fire extinguisher - Hi lift - Scepter MFC Jerry can with 5 gal fuel - Tools (socket set, screw driver, multitool, flashlight, etc.) - Small first aid kit I like to be prepared :)
And for rear ward self recovery with a front mounted winch add....
2 - 20,000 snatch blocks.
2 - tree savers
2 - shackles.
30' length of synthetic winch line or cable.

·
Registered
76 Posts
And for rear ward self recovery with a front mounted winch add....
2 - 20,000 snatch blocks.
2 - tree savers
2 - shackles.
30' length of synthetic winch line or cable.
I do have one tree saver, forgot that. Where would be a good place to watch/learn how to do a rearward recovery like that? I have heard its possible but never saw any examples of it yet. I suppose I would just need one more snatch block and tree saver and the line.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
I do have one tree saver, forgot that. Where would be a good place to watch/learn how to do a rearward recovery like that? I have heard its possible but never saw any examples of it yet. I suppose I would just need one more snatch block and tree saver and the line.
The classic video on it, myte. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tI3HtgdCY

Prefer to carry a portable tray-mount winch for rear pulls meself (fits in the receiver if needed), but you'll have a few more bucks in that solution. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/my-appx-200-rear-winching-solution-785049.html

My problem with the multi-snatchblock solution is that it requires several trees or rocks or other anchor points be in just the right locations. Fairly easy in eastern forests, but I always seem to get stuck in the deserts of California, Arizona or Utah and have to use a sand anchor some of the time. Trees aren't conveniently surrounding the Jeep.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
And realistically to do the rearward recovery properly and safely, good snatch locks, shackles, extra winch line and tree savers could likely cost you as much as a budget spare winch and tray.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts