Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I have not had the chance to do any real off-roading. Not for lack of want, I'm just one of those that knows that I don't know enough and don't have the right gear. Therefor I don't try, and don't get the experience and gear that I need.

A circular problem, and the obvious answer is to go out with a group of experienced Jeepers and get the experience and gear. That's on the list of things to do, eventually.

Until then, the questions are:
If I were to piece together recovery gear, what should I start with?
Is it worth getting the smaller pieces of recovery gear without a winch?
Save up and get a Recovery Gear bag kit?
Save up and get a winch first?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Go to harbor freight and buy 1-2 20 foot tow straps from harbor freight you can get them for $10 on sale https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-2-in-x-20-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-61175.html

Get a D ring or two for connecting straps if you need it, a 1" stick would be safer but sometimes you need a D-ring https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lb-capacity-2-in-x-20-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-61175.html

If you dont already have tow hooks put 2 of these on the front https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-7605-Black-Tow-Hook/dp/B000E3BVQ0

The rear can be tricky to mount a recovery point on the rear cross member is not that strong. Because of this i prefer to pull from the center of the bumper to distribute the weight evenly. Then i run a d-ring in the 2" receiver on my heavy duty bumper that is bolted to the cross member well. Make sure to put the 2 bolts in though the bottom tab into the frame. If you only bolt it to the cross member you can pull the cross-member off. https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29312B-Receiver-Shackle-Receivers/dp/B001CF1A7O/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=2%22+receiver+d+ring&qid=1577395710&sr=8-7

If you have a winch get a 20,000 pound snatch block and a tree saver strap.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Agree with agalloch 100% for a basic recovery kit. Then save up some cash for a winch, winch mount or bumper with a mount, snatch block, winch cable weight, tree saver, and a couple extra clevis's. Another bit of advice, find a local Jeep or 4x4 club and wheel with them to learn, NEVER wheel alone.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Recovery points on front and rear, shackles, recovery strap (NOT tow strap they are different) a shovel, a 1' square of 3/4" plywood for your jack on soft ground... And most important go with someone else

Nothing else is needed... don't worry about a winch any time soon... 99% of the time your winch will be for recovering OTHER people....

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
I forgot to mention i stuff all of my recovery stuff into a heavy canvas top load bag. I dont want a zipper on it to get mud in so the top loading latch system works better because there is no zipper to jam and break.

I dont have that much money invested in recovery 2 $10 recovery straps, A short tree saver strap i think i paid $18 for on Amazon, a few D ring shackles, a $30 ebay snatch block and one of them small free moving blankets from harbor freight to throw over my winch cable. all stuffed into a $20 heavy duty water resistant canvas bag.

Reactions: rushwal

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Many folks have made some good suggestions here. WHY would you go gather these items without first understanding their need and reason for you to own?
Lets start with education/reason and when, how and why you might need certain items more than others.
How about learning the safety aspect of off roading before you require recovery equipment.

I say start getting with like minded folks that drive and off road like you would want to do. So lets say that might be easy trips through the woods and some bumpy terrain.
Not everyone needs a winch but depending or the number of Jeeps in/on a trail there needs to be folks with a winc and "they have to understand their use and safety factors".

Learn a little, buy a little and know the reason for why those items meet the safety requirements.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
^Good Point....

I believe that chance favors the prepared JEEP.

Never needed a winch in 35 yrs of off-roading. Never went any further aggressive than what a strap or chain wouldn't get me out of. Finally broke down and got a winch, At the same time I gained a whole lot more confidence in my off pavement driving ability, glad I bought the winch, got stuck in a stream a few weeks back that would have normally slowed me down for an hour or two, the winch got me out in minutes.
Moral of the story, A man's got to know his limitations, I could have chosen a wiser route, but it was fun trying. The Jeep didn't seem to mind getting wet, but the cold water in my shoes reminded me to pay closer attention. That was the last time I got stuck that day even with a dozen more crossings of that same stream. Having the gear may help get you home, but being able to not have to need it is the real skill.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
agalloch07, 12b and Gottagofast all offer very good advice.
agalloch07 uses a military duffel. I like the large plastic tubs that you can buy at Home Depot. Even an old cardboard box is better than not bringing anything.

Harbor Freight has a 20K# snatch block for $28.00. If you do mud you might consider the 9000# recovery strap.
I have a recovery strap and a tow strap. The tow strap can double as a tree saver with a few or several wraps around a tree.
Before I had a winch I brought along a come-along. I still usually just leave it in the recovery/tool box.

You should bring along some tools too.

You notice nobody mentioned a Hi Lift jack, but everyone said "Don't go out alone".

I'll add to agalloch07's statement about a rear bumper.
When I installed mine, I used large heavy washers behind the crossmember. My rear bumper has 8 bolts holding the bumper to the crossmember plus the two smaller bolts underneath. It was a pain without removing the gas tank, but I made sure to get all 8 bolts in nice and tight.

BTW, don't go out alone.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many folks have made some good suggestions here. WHY would you go gather these items without first understanding their need and reason for you to own?
Lets start with education/reason and when, how and why you might need certain items more than others.
How about learning the safety aspect of off roading before you require recovery equipment.

I say start getting with like minded folks that drive and off road like you would want to do. So lets say that might be easy trips through the woods and some bumpy terrain.
Not everyone needs a winch but depending or the number of Jeeps in/on a trail there needs to be folks with a winch and "they have to understand their use and safety factors".

Learn a little, buy a little and know the reason for why those items meet the safety requirements.
I have the knowledge and understanding that I can get from Youtube videos, the forums, and the general physics of the process. I understand what the gear is for and what it does. What I don't have is the practical knowledge and understanding. I'd rather have some of the basic gear than be 'that guy' who didn't bring *anything on a trail ride.

Reactions: Got it at last

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
OOPS.... fire extinguisher... first aid kit.... a few bottles of water and a box of cookies.... seriously...

Minimal tools... channel locks, multi screw driver, electrical tape, jumper cables... a small drift works wonders for tightening and loosening shackles...
And I ALWAYS carry a small container of tub o towels and an old bath towel...

Being able to clean your hands is priceless...

If it's cold out at all a brand new pair of socks and two plastic bags big enough for your feet.... can make you much more comfortable on the way home OR can make you a hero to someone else...

If ur likely to encounter mud, a small putty knife on the floor next to your seat works wonders to scrape mud off ur boots and pants as you get into your jeep...

Just a few more tidbits off the top of my head...

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Btw any time I have to stand in icy water to recover a jeep etc, I take my shoes off if I only have one pair with me....
It sux but cold feet for a few minutes by far trumps cold feet for the rest of the day...

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Btw any time I have to stand in icy water to recover a jeep etc, I take my shoes off if I only have one pair with me....
It sux but cold feet for a few minutes by far trumps cold feet for the rest of the day...
I fully agree but barefoot isn't the safest way. Broken beer bottles, jagged sharp, rusted metal bands.....
I bring along a worn pair of tennis shoes (we call'em gardening shoes) for situations like the cold water. Then hang'em on the front attachement points to dry after.
Good example: I walked about a 1/4 mile or more down a flooded road (ankle to calf deep) thru the woods in AR ahead of the Jeep watching out for drop offs and holes ....

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I have the knowledge and understanding that I can get from Youtube videos, the forums, and the general physics of the process. I understand what the gear is for and what it does. What I don't have is the practical knowledge and understanding. I'd rather have some of the basic gear than be 'that guy' who didn't bring *anything on a trail ride.
Sounds like you know then what you need to bring. And you know the use of these items and how to tell they safety ratings. So go get the "basic stuff" and you'll be ready to assist when the time arises on the trail ride. The concept is that everyone brings something but not always all of the gear. Everyone may have to pitch-in to get the job done. No one is going to expect you to know how to repair a broken Ujoint your first time out. Being a newbie you won't even be asked to assemble a recovery situation most likely. But if you're the vehicle that will be applying the pulling force you should ask for some guidance, fair enough.

You'll get the practical knowledge you lack in learning how to avoid like situations others get in and what actions to take to recover by watching. Actually, it is better to have a new Jeeper bring nothing to the party than to bring the wrong stuff. Oh, you say, "I've a tow strap" in response to a question, and then come back with a strap with hooks attached or a tree saver, see my point?

Go wheeling with others, like I mentioned before. Take the necssary safety equipment and bring your own gloves, tow strap and shackle for pulling you out of a situation or assisting the fellow behind you.

Look around you. How are the other Jeeps dressed out? Say, look at lug nuts. Yea that's right! Is there anyone that doesn't have all their lug nuts on the rims? Why should anyone in the group be concerned about that?
Does everyone have a same size spare? Is there a air compressor avaliable in the group? CB radios? What are some items you think others need, why? Ask questions we (folks on the trails) like to educate the new folks because we know someday it might be us depending on you for a tug on the strap or lift from your winch.

So what can you expect for the others in the way of assistance, knowledge and preparation for a trail ride? Humm.. that will require a new thread... I think I think I have an urge.

·
Premium Member
2,932 Posts
Part of my trail gear is a small carry bag with a change of clothes, granola bars, bottles of water and yes, a pair of dry shoes, part of the wet shoes that day were to remind me not to do anything else stupid, the other part was for if I did and had to get wet again. lol
Fortunately for me I drove home that night with dry shoes and all my fluids intact.

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I haven't read anything above that I disagree with.

Go out with a group. Usually before the ride begins, the group leader will announce something like what might be expected on the trail (they probably ran the trail the day before) and they'll ask if there are any questions. In my experience, if you announce to the group leader and/or the group in general that you're new at off roading everyone will be ready and willing to offer advice and assistance if necessary.

Don't be put off if the group seems cliquish. These folks are friends that have gone out together before and you're the new guy. Some folks will be friendlier than others. Just be cool, be polite, listen to what they tell you and do what they say.
Everyone was the FNG (funny new guy) at one time. By the time you've gone out with the group a few times, you'll be way more comfortable and ready to participate at a level that will surprise you. With a little advice from other group members you'll be surprised at the capabilities of your Jeep and your own personal abilities.

Every time I've gone out with a group, I've learned something. Sometimes it's just a different piece of equipment I hadn't though of or it's a way to get over an obstacle that's different from anything I'd ever seen before.

I'd like to watch H8STPVMT rig a recovery. I haven't ever met him but I've read a lot of his posts. He always offers good advice.

Good luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I fully agree but barefoot isn't the safest way. Broken beer bottles, jagged sharp, rusted metal bands.....
I bring along a worn pair of tennis shoes (we call'em gardening shoes) for situations like the cold water. Then hang'em on the front attachement points to dry after.
Good example: I walked about a 1/4 mile or more down a flooded road (ankle to calf deep) thru the woods in AR ahead of the Jeep watching out for drop offs and holes ....
Lol you beat me to it... I was specifically coming back to this thread to add the words "if it's safe" to my post.... the times I've done that are in clear water with a visible rock bottom and I only had to walk a few feet.... that said it's still risky so beware

1 - 16 of 16 Posts