Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this ARB kit: ARB RK9US - ARB Premium Recovery Kit - Quadratec

That isn't the complete truth as I already had some things in the kit but I went ahead and ordered what I didn't have along with the bag after my winch went on last week. The end result is I now have the kit. I likely didn't need the bag and could have fit all straps, snatch block, etc in the back storage bin/under the seat but I'm planning on putting a winch on my truck after the first of the year and I wanted a neat package that was easy to move from vehicle to vehicle.

My general mo is I try to outfit each vehicle independently (chargers, straps, sunglasses, etc) so I don't have to keep track of where my stuff is and make sure I have what I might need with me whenever I leave the house. I made an exception on this recovery kit because it was costly and 95% of the time I'm driving my Jeep anyway. For those few times when I'm not in the Jeep the bag seemed like an easy way to move the recovery gear around.

Getting to the point of the question......the packed bag doesn't fit under the rear seat in the Jeep. It isn't even close to fitting. I could just throw it in the rear but I never lock my Jeep (I'd rather someone open the door than cut the top, and the top isn't even on it most of the summer) and I'm sure it would be a matter of months before someone walked off with it in plain view like that.

What are others doing? I could just hang the bag in the garage and take it with me as needed but that sort of breaks my rule of not wanting to have to take an inventory when I leave the house.

Thx!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Those are pretty sweet! Are they easily taken off? I'm just wondering if I went with a system like that if it is much more of a theft deterrent than a bag sitting in the cargo area.

Where did you get that mount?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thanks. Those are pretty sweet! Are they easily taken off? I'm just wondering if I went with a system like that if it is much more of a theft deterrent than a bag sitting in the cargo area.

Where did you get that mount?
The bags actually aren't that easily removed. The SlickStick system from 5.11 Tactical is neat, but still requires a little work to remove the bags. It would certainly be more of a deterrent than a bag merely sitting in the cargo area.

I got the panel from here.
JK Tailgate Fold Down Style MOLLE Panel | eBay

He's sold quite a few to members on here.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bags actually aren't that easily removed. The SlickStick system from 5.11 Tactical is neat, but still requires a little work to remove the bags. It would certainly be more of a deterrent than a bag merely sitting in the cargo area.

I got the panel from here.
JK Tailgate Fold Down Style MOLLE Panel | eBay

He's sold quite a few to members on here.
Thanks....maybe that will be my solution. Not theft proof but not something someone can easily grab and run with. Are those two 6.10 and one 10.6 pouches you have on there? If so did you go way because that the only config that would fit or do you think four 6.10 pouches would fit?

Thanks again - much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thanks....maybe that will be my solution. Not theft proof but not something someone can easily grab and run with. Are those two 6.10 and one 10.6 pouches you have on there? If so did you go way because that the only config that would fit or do you think four 6.10 pouches would fit?

Thanks again - much appreciated.
That's correct, two 6.10 bags and a 10.6 bag. I think 4 6.10 bags would indeed fit.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've got the same tailgate system as Kramer2k, but I also put in the tuffy security deck so I can stash stuff under it and not worry so much about it walking off.

With the jeep topless or soft top a large percentage of the year it was the only way I could see long term that I could throw my camera gear in or other stuff and go eat or park the jeep and not worry as much about it walking away or carry everything every time I left the jeep.

With the soft top on, it is nice to have two levels of storage as well. And yes, the Arb kit fits inside as I have that myself.

inside

Outside

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the same tailgate system as Kramer2k, but I also put in the tuffy security deck so I can stash stuff under it and not worry so much about it walking off.

With the jeep topless or soft top a large percentage of the year it was the only way I could see long term that I could throw my camera gear in or other stuff and go eat or park the jeep and not worry as much about it walking away or carry everything every time I left the jeep.

With the soft top on, it is nice to have two levels of storage as well. And yes, the Arb kit fits inside as I have that myself.

inside

Outside
Thanks for sharing. I had seen someone post a pic of that before but I hadn't paid much attention to it until now.

Just last week I was standing in my kitchen chatting with a few neighbors who were over for a visit. I was asked what the next project was for my Jeep.

My response was that I have one more package (the rest of my TF carrier) on the way and once it was here and installed I wouldn't be doing any mods for the foreseeable future unless I broke something. A few days later I decided to order the ARB bag and the rest of the recovery gear I needed to fill it. Today I find the bag doesn't fit where I thought it would leading me to ask what others are doing on this forum.

Now I'm sitting here (when I should be getting some work done instead) justifying another $650 + my time in mods so I can lock up the bag/gear I didn't own a week ago.

I think I need help. :surrender:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bought a Plano cargo box that can lock and has tie down attachments.

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL RRTRI. Funny

You sound like me.

The rest of my TF carrier combo is on the way as well. I have already installed the hinge, but the tire mount was backordered. It'll be here Monday and I can't wait to get it installed.

/thread jack

I had just ordered and installed the TF hinge and kept my stock carrier.....but hunting season started, I realized that the gate won't open with my "deer basket" on the hitch, but that it would open if I raised the tire a bit. Next thing you know I'm ordering the TF carrier to replace my stock one so I can open my gate with the basket on the back. :facepalm:

It shipped a few days ago and will be here next week.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought a Plano cargo box that can lock and has tie down attachments.
So the box is just tied down? That could be another option since it locks. Maybe a cable lock could be run through the box to the rear seat legs to secure the box itself?

·
Registered
63 Posts
RRTRI said:
So the box is just tied down? That could be another option since it locks. Maybe a cable lock could be run through the box to the rear seat legs to secure the box itself?
Yes, on either side it has lugs on each corner that turn up on the ends. I run a ratchet strap from the tiedowns in the Jeep to the hooks on the box and its locked in place. I've had it full of tools, water, recovery gear and wheeled it hard and it didn't budge.

$28 at Home Depot, worth double.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts