Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is one better than the other? Looking at viking Tow Straps - Recovery Ropes

Rope or strap? advantages and disadvantages of both.

Thanks,

·
Registered
811 Posts
The ropes are stretchy and are suited to kinetic recovery. The flat straps appear to come in two versions - but only the orange-kinetic versions are sold here. Notwithstanding the manufacturer's advice to the contrary, the kinetic straps can be used as improvised winch line extensions, or as gigantic tree straps, if necessary, better than the ropes can.

I think the straps are more versatile, at least in the terrain I frequent, and their price is more reasonable. I'm not a big fan of relying on kinetic recovery techniques - by my way of thinking, if I can't winch or be pulled out with a gentle pull, and the pulling vehicle needs to take a running start to pull me out with an overgrown bungee cord, I should have been doing more digging or cutting to clear the obstacle that is keeping me mired in place...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I have the ARB 2"x 30' snatch strap rated for 17,500lbs.

Its a very heavy duty strap and I would trust it to get me out, or get someone else out in a stitch. The reason I went with Kinetic straps is because it allows for forward momentum applied to the stuck vehicle, of course this is more pull on your tow point, but that should be taken care of already. Most "tow" ropes aren't rated for movement based pulling and should not be used or you can be expecting something to break.

Oh and see if you can buy a weighted bag to put on the line. So if it ever snaps, neither will someone when they get hit by a hook or a rope. :eek:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
;) Let me tell you what I've got and found over many years is required for moderate to extreme off-roading

Now this is JUST RECOVERY straps/ropes

1)-30'/30,000 recovery(snatch) STRAP, WITH LEATHER REINFORCED LOOPS
2)-30'/3"-30/000 TOW strap with a "cinch" for length adj-
3)-10' tree strap-
4)-2ea 15ft, 1500lb nylon ropes with hooks (really needem)
5)-120 ft (4) looped nylon 7/16" ropes-for everything else(logs/kids/skis/debris/old cans)
6)-5ea-3/4"D-rings

Thats off-the top-

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
790 Posts
;) Let me tell you what I've got and found over many years is required for moderate to extreme off-roading

Now this is JUST RECOVERY straps/ropes

4)-2ea 15ft, 1500lb nylon ropes with hooks (really needem)

What are those for? I mean, I'm sure I could find a use, but...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D Securing axles (up), bracing trailer to tree, securing top of HiLift +++

QUOTE=Bubba68CS;934668]What are those for? I mean, I'm sure I could find a use, but...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
790 Posts
:D Securing axles (up), bracing trailer to tree, securing top of HiLift +++

QUOTE=Bubba68CS;934668]What are those for? I mean, I'm sure I could find a use, but...
:rofl::rofl: JIMBO[/QUOTE]

Ah, I see...stuff thats a bit too heavy for regular rope, but still used pretty much like regular rope. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:) Heh Heh, yea and I've got chains with hooks to, but they're to heavy to lug around and

Ah, I see...stuff thats a bit too heavy for regular rope, but still used pretty much like regular rope. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Now and then, when you need to tow something odd size and you don't want to damage an expensive recovery/tow strap--the little hooked ones are handy, it's just not a good idea to use them for any recovery of another vehicle !!

I don't have tow points on my bumpers, I just use the military 2" Lunnette and 3/4" D-rings !

·
Registered
343 Posts
so the "snatch straps" are for freeing a vehicle, and the yellow flat straps with loops are for towing a vehicle, you cant use the yellow to free somone or they just dont work as well due to the snatch straps kinetic energy? Newbie here lol....sounds like I should have one of each? any brands you reccomend, any to stay away from? thanks

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:cool: The recovery (snatch) strap, stores Kinetic energy like a bungy cord and is MAINLY designed for use in snow/mud, when the recovery vehicle can't get enough TRACTION, to provide a STEADY PULL on the stuckee, so the "SNATCH" strap allows enough free travel to apply MOMENTUM, to the "snatch" strap and it will, in effect store/release the energy and hopefully be enough to free said "Stuckee"--

so the "snatch straps" are for freeing a vehicle, and the yellow flat straps with loops are for towing a vehicle, you cant use the yellow to free somone or they just dont work as well due to the snatch straps kinetic energy? Newbie here lol....sounds like I should have one of each? any brands you reccomend, any to stay away from? thanks
The "TOW" straps 1"/2"/3"/4"-are for gentle-easy towing ONLY, no jerks/or "snatchs"--

I can't recommend a MFG now, I got mine years ago from "Sierra Expeditions", but ARB and AEV-Quadratec are pretty trusty mfgs !!

Don't get cheap straps--too much danger, try for minimum of 2"/20,000lb straps-3"/30,000 are a little more dependable, but you have to be careful of the tow points--(no sharp edges)

You'll pay a little more for a "CINCH" tow strap, but they are remarkable !!

Good luck

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
That's correct, except you CAN use a tow strap to free a vehicle. I mean, just because option A works better doesn't mean you can't use option B in a pinch.

The cheap brands will work, but not for long. But that's not always bad, especially if you're nice and loan them out. In my experience they get twisted and tied into tight knots fairly quickly anyway.

And the color of the strap isn't relevant - but you're right, the tow straps are usually yellow.

·
Registered
343 Posts
thanks guys

1 - 20 of 26 Posts