Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like my stock bumpers but need some solid points to hook to when I need to be pulled out. The idea of hooks makes me edgey bc those things can kill. Seems like d rings are safer but I have nowhere to ancor them to without drilling into the frame which I don't want to do.

Any other ways to do this?
 

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
dreamzx93 said:
I like my stock bumpers but need some solid points to hook to when I need to be pulled out. The idea of hooks makes me edgey bc those things can kill. Seems like d rings are safer but I have nowhere to ancor them to without drilling into the frame which I don't want to do.

Any other ways to do this?
There's a set you can buy for oem bumpers to bolt on
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,362 Posts
Most hooks are rated to 10000 lbs, I think tugging a jeep that weighs half that should be ok.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,197 Posts
Hooks on tow straps are deadly, not hooks on bumpers. I got mine from Tractor Supply Co for $8 a pop and got new grade 8 bolts from Lowes. They are rated for the same 10k that the ones on Quadratec sells for more $. I actually have some from both places and they are identical.
 

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
BLK00TJ said:
Hooks on tow straps are deadly, not hooks on bumpers. I got mine from Tractor Supply Co for $8 a pop and got new grade 8 bolts from Lowes. They are rated for the same 10k that the ones on Quadratec sells for more $. I actually have some from both places and they are identical.
Did you need longer bolts? I want a couple mounted on my front bumper, mostly for looks as I have D-rings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about the hooks that northern tool has? Are those about the same or are they cheaply made?

What lb strap is everyone using 5k?

What about the rear bumper area?
 

·
Registered
2001 Wrangler Sport
Joined
·
4,645 Posts
dreamzx93 said:
What about the hooks that northern tool has? Are those about the same or are they cheaply made?

What lb strap is everyone using 5k?

What about the rear bumper area?
Not sure about the hooks, but if they're 8-10k pound strengths they should hold up.
I'm picking up a 20,000lb strap, they're not too expensive and it'll hold up, unless anyone can chime on the bubba rope.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,362 Posts
For the back I used this hook, not a jeep hook but it was free and it fit. There is one hole there and you drill the other to fit. Had to move it cause of my new bumper but it would work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is that the only place to do that in the back or is there a place where I can mount something without drilling or cutting. Surely jeep thought about this knowing what the vehicles were to be used for
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,197 Posts
Is that the only place to do that in the back or is there a place where I can mount something without drilling or cutting. Surely jeep thought about this knowing what the vehicles were to be used for
do you have a hitch? if so, you can get these at Tractor Supply Co.
or


If you get either of these, leave them off until you need them. They only turn into anchors for sharp inclines.

Otherwise, you can get this

It mounts like this and can also be an anchor:


Drilling one hole is not that big of a deal. Just drill and paint to protect. the above options are more pricey. You can get an $8 hook from TSC and grade 8 bolts and nuts for just over $10. Drill one hole and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,886 Posts
Is that the only place to do that in the back or is there a place where I can mount something without drilling or cutting. Surely jeep thought about this knowing what the vehicles were to be used for
That is exactly where the rear factory tow hook is installed, which some models have. Do a search on rear tow hook and you'll find plenty of pictures.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top