Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some upgrades today and popped the hood up and saw this small puddle of red, crusty-ish fluid on the top of the "engine" you can see it standing in front, on the left side on top (passenger side) of the, what I would call camshaft cover. Any ideas? I didn't see a actual leak. Nothing is acting weird and no idiot lights are on.

I almost thought it was a dead mouse or something at first but its some kinda fluid, I think red is transmission or power steering, but not sure where to begin looking.

Here are some bad pics:

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
oil cooler o-ring leak. have you gone under and look at your bell housing? prob leaked all over. its covered under the 5y/100k warranty if you still have it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UH, I don't have that coverage. Any idea where I can start doing some research to fix it or a guide or something? I did look under and it does look like there is a slow leak in the oil pan area around the seal. I think I can fix that with a new seal, but how did it leak up top? Seems like that's an area I wouldn't be able to fix myself.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
UH, I don't have that coverage. Any idea where I can start doing some research to fix it or a guide or something? I did look under and it does look like there is a slow leak in the oil pan area around the seal. I think I can fix that with a new seal, but how did it leak up top? Seems like that's an area I wouldn't be able to fix myself.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, mines not a pentastar but it should give me a good idea, I have 2008. You know now that I think about it I did buy some coverage for the Jeep when I took out the auto load for it, I wonder if I could use that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like a solution. Do I need to take the whole top of the engine off like they did in the JL? The video looked kind of scary for a diy’er

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
Thanks for the info. Looks like a solution. Do I need to take the whole top of the engine off like they did in the JL? The video looked kind of scary for a diy’er
That’s a Jk not a jl if you are referring to the video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts