Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2013 JK 4 door. The wife came home from a trip to the mall, grocery store, etc and when she pulled in the driveway the left front rotor looked like she had just run 500 laps at Bristol. Let it cool and jacked it up, wheel spun with no problem. Caliper piston retracted easily too. Gonna change the caliper, all the hardware and hose (pads and rotor too) to be on the safe side, but wanted to know if it is a common issue. Only 46K miles +/-
Thanks folks

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I had an issue after I changed rear pads with them dragging on the rotor. I did a bunch of research and found it was sort of common after brake jobs. Mine got pretty hot and you could smell them, but it never got glowing hot. I removed the tire and disk and used a C clamp to recompress the piston all the way back in. That seamed to do the trick as I haven't had an issue since.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
That is odd that the rotor was so hot. My first guess would be a stuck caliper piston, but you stump me by saying that the piston retracts fine. It is not common for the rotors to get that hot. I would make sure the caliper is sliding ok on the guide pins. You may want to lubricate those with high temp sil glyde grease.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm gonna make sure everything is lubed really well. Replacing all hardware too, even the pads clips. Parts will be in tomorrow. I'll keep y'all posted......

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2008 wrangler and i have had the same problem. was a hardware issue with caliper but ended up replaceing both sides cuz the had 87k on the them. mine did glow!!!!!! really glowed

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have only had that happen once in a 96 Dodge Intrepid, got out and smelled brakes and the rotor was piping red hot and glowing, it was caused by a sticky caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts