Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i recently have been working on my 2009 jeep and i blacked it all out but i think it would be really cool with a led light behind my black grille inserts does anyone know where or how to do this ?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well im in FL and want to do the same thing. I painted all the interior trim red and added leds under the dash and rear seats. They are wired into the dome light. As for the grill in fl you cant run with red or blue lights on your rig but you can when your parked which is still cool. I would run from ground anywhere under the hood. Just pick any bolt that runs through the frame. Find a wire that is always hot even with the key in the off position. That will be your power then all you need is a switch and an inline fuse. Mount the switch wherever you like or got the pilar switch mod. Its cheap and you will never need to find a place for accessories again.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Walmart sells some led strips that work really well. It has a 3m adhesive tape on it, but it sticks really well if you make sure the surfsce is clean. Used one on my motorcycle for a license plate light, then had extras so i put em under the fenders.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
I did mine with some red led strips from autozone tied into my spod. They are adhesive backed, so I just attached them to the back side of the cross brace at the bottom in front of the radiator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did mine with some red led strips from autozone tied into my spod. They are adhesive backed, so I just attached them to the back side of the cross brace at the bottom in front of the radiator
ok the only thing im confused with is where do i wire them to can you show pics of how you did it please thank you!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm out of town until Sunday, but I can take some pics then. I have an sPod, which makes wiring anything a breeze. It's pricy, but well worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright i have no idea to set up the wires to it though i just started to do all this jeep stuff should i take it somewhere or do you think i could do it

·
Registered
728 Posts
Definitely do it yourself. Look up how some people wire their Offroad lights. I think there are some YouTube videos of people putting in kc or rigid lights. The wiring will be the same.

It can be intimidating at first to wrench on your jeep yourself, but once you get started, it's all pretty easy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Look on eBay you can get a 16ft strip for about $20-$25. Below is an example, shop around on there I'm sure you can find them even cheaper ...just an example. Plus they can change to different colors.

5M Flexible RGB 300 LED Waterproof 3528 Strip Light with Power Supply IR Remote | eBay
Walmart sells some led strips that work really well. It has a 3m adhesive tape on it, but it sticks really well if you make sure the surfsce is clean. Used one on my motorcycle for a license plate light, then had extras so i put em under the fenders.

Well im in FL and want to do the same thing. I painted all the interior trim red and added leds under the dash and rear seats. They are wired into the dome light. As for the grill in fl you cant run with red or blue lights on your rig but you can when your parked which is still cool. I would run from ground anywhere under the hood. Just pick any bolt that runs through the frame. Find a wire that is always hot even with the key in the off position. That will be your power then all you need is a switch and an inline fuse. Mount the switch wherever you like or got the pilar switch mod. Its cheap and you will never need to find a place for accessories again.
Definitely do it yourself. Look up how some people wire their Offroad lights. I think there are some YouTube videos of people putting in kc or rigid lights. The wiring will be the same.

It can be intimidating at first to wrench on your jeep yourself, but once you get started, it's all pretty easy.
i wont be able to but the s thing cause i dont have that much money ATM but i have hooked up KC lights on my jeep is it the same thing as that or do i need to know more

·
Registered
198 Posts
Alright i have no idea to set up the wires to it though i just started to do all this jeep stuff should i take it somewhere or do you think i could do it
My wife did led strips in the grill, underbody, and the footwells. Just by using a fuse tap, switches, and some wire. There's nothing quite like coming home to your girl in a bikini while getting her hands dirty working on her jeep. :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I will be the Debbie downer here. I wanted to toss in that most states have laws as to what color lights can be on the front and rear of vehicles. Most of these laws state that only white and amber lights can be on the front. I only bring this up because there is a saying out there. If you don't want to be pulled over, don't give the cops a reason to pull you over.

Now, with all that said, I think that lighting mod looks pretty cool. Especially in the signature jeep grill. Wiring lights is actually pretty easy. Go for it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I wanted to toss in that most states have laws as the what color lights can be on the front and rear of vehicles. Most of these laws state that only white and amber lights can be on the front.
This is true in Ohio. Just wire the grill lights on a separate switch from others, that way you can select when you want to have them on (parked, parades, off-road, etc.).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should be same as your kc's.

Illegal to use while driving on the road, but fine to use Offroad or when parked somewhere.
This is true in Ohio. Just wire the grill lights on a separate switch from others, that way you can select when you want to have them on (parked, parades, off-road, etc.).
I will be the Debbie downer here. I wanted to toss in that most states have laws as to what color lights can be on the front and rear of vehicles. Most of these laws state that only white and amber lights can be on the front. I only bring this up because there is a saying out there. If you don't want to be pulled over, don't give the cops a reason to pull you over.

Now, with all that said, I think that lighting mod looks pretty cool. Especially in the signature jeep grill. Wiring lights is actually pretty easy. Go for it.
ok thank you so much guys i really appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good luck bud. Its an easy job you should have no problems. Get the lights an inline barrel fuse. Probably a 1 or 1.5 amp fuse. Wire buttslices wire ring terminals and a pack of B52 inline splices. Thats it. Maybe someone else knows where to get the fuse holder. The ones most automotive shops have are cheap crap

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good luck bud. Its an easy job you should have no problems. Get the lights an inline barrel fuse. Probably a 1 or 1.5 amp fuse. Wire buttslices wire ring terminals and a pack of B52 inline splices. Thats it. Maybe someone else knows where to get the fuse holder. The ones most automotive shops have are cheap crap
Shoot I forgot the most important part. A clean looking toggle switch

1 - 18 of 18 Posts