Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went offroading Saturday and got stuck in sand and water their is a thread with pictures titled offroading yesterday...
Let me start by saying my jeep was stuck pretty bad I had to be pulled out...
My jeep drove fine home, and fine yesterday after getting most of sand and rocks out of EVERYTHING! It also drove fine today to work and home from work about 50 miles round trip almost all highway....
I come out after a shower and notice a small red milky puddle under my jeep...
It looks to be dripping from the rear end of my driveshaft on top of a skid plate under my transmission I will post pictures... Help please!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How milky? It is possible that the Tcase could have gotten full of water and the extra fluid is causing pressure to build up and leak past the seal.
It was pretty milky from what I seen I was on my way out the door ill have pictures when I get home in 1 hr

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Is your jeep an auto or manual? IF you have water in the tcase then itnis very possible that everything else can have water in it. If you have an auto it is a very good idea to pull the stick and make sure there is no water in it. While water is bad for other parts it will kill an auto tranny fast.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Seems to be a lot of this going around lately. Several threads of people going off-road for the first time in the jeep and ruining or almost ruining parts. I don't get the fascination to play in deep water but maybe thats just me.

I would drain all your fluids if you haven't already and check them to see what they look like. Hope everything works out for good for ya.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is your jeep an auto or manual? IF you have water in the tcase then itnis very possible that everything else can have water in it. If you have an auto it is a very good idea to pull the stick and make sure there is no water in it. While water is bad for other parts it will kill an auto tranny fast.
I have a manual... This is how deep I was...

image-1432078776.jpg

·
Registered
536 Posts
Technically no but doesn't mean I wouldn't try. Anytime I've tried to warranty anything with jeep it seems they always try to find a way to weasel out of it.

I think jeep only states 18 inches or something like that in the manul.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Haha I saw this thread and was going to say something along the lines of how this is not the best idea and it is wise to check all the fluids after geting home. But I get tired of people telling me to mind my own business after I do this.

We all have to learn some of us just chose to start out in way cheaper vehicles.

Water is bad on everything but it will not ruin difs and a Tcase as fast as it will an auto trans. You still want to check every thing out. It is also a good idea to flush out the front axle tubes since they tend to hold a bunch of crap also.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha I saw this thread and was going to say something along the lines of how this is not the best idea and it is wise to check all the fluids after geting home. But I get tired of people telling me to mind my own business after I do this.

We all have to learn some of us just chose to start out in way cheaper vehicles.

Water is bad on everything but it will not ruin difs and a Tcase as fast as it will an auto trans. You still want to check every thing out. It is also a good idea to flush out the front axle tubes since they tend to hold a bunch of crap also.
I will be home shortly with those photos should I also change the transmission fluid? I'm guessing worst case I have water in all three? Will changing year fluids fix or just help the leaking? Or is this just trouble shooting?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best bet is to check every thing and go from there. It is easy to tell if anything has fluid in it.
Thank you, but this is my first jeep let alone first time checking tcase and any fluid besides oil and transmission fluid on a auto...
How do I check diff and tcase fluid and manual transmission fluid?

image-171279093.jpg

image-1526972377.jpg

image-3051876864.jpg

image-2052230449.jpg

I look under and I notice I'm guessing a breathe tube, with the top pointing down I'm guessing water got in here... Help please

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Find the fill plugs and pull them, if they have goten water in them odds are very good that fluid will come out when you pull the fill plug since it will be over full. If nothing comes out just stick your finger in and see if the fluid is milky.

You want to get this taken care of ASAP. Letting it go any longer can cost you a ton of coin. Oil with a lot of water in it is not healthy for the bearings at all.

I would fill whatever is affected with cheap oil, drive it for a week and then drain and refill it with whatever you plan on keeping in it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If thats the breath tube then yes it's very possible but it's also not the only way water can get in. Like they mentioned earlier change the fluids and you will get a better picture of where you have water.

If you need help changing the fluids watch these.

trans fluid change
How To Change Manual Transmission Fluid Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JK 6 speed - YouTube

diffs
JK-Adventure.com How To: Changing your Differential Fluid on your Jeep JK Dana 44 w/locker - YouTube

tcase
How To Change Transfercase Fluid Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JK 6 speed - YouTube

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you guys, I'm going to auto store now I'm pretty handy I know how to change oil I put my lift on myself will I need anything special for this job and what fluids do you recommend? I'm going to drain and fill all fluids except coolant

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Seems to be a lot of this going around lately. Several threads of people going off-road for the first time in the jeep and ruining or almost ruining parts. I don't get the fascination to play in deep water but maybe thats just me.

I would drain all your fluids if you haven't already and check them to see what they look like. Hope everything works out for good for ya.
because its fun

1 - 20 of 45 Posts