Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 jku with 4000 miles. I just changed the oil. 6 quarts of castrol 5w30 and a purolator filter. Everything went perfectly. Changed the o ring on the filter....everything is snugged down.....no leaks. Start jeep up.....check engine light. Drive to front of neighborhood, red oilcan light comes on. I step on gas.....light goes off. So, now....whenever i almost come to a complete stop or when i am stopped, that oil light is on........what gives?

Fluke?
Safe to drive?
Real issue?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Also, don't our Jeeps call for 5w20? I'm still learning and have to admit I don't know the technicalities of changing oil weights. I just changed mine yesterday and can confirm that 2014's use a new filter, and at least near where I am they are really tough to find. I ended up going with the wix brand since I heard they were decent. It's WL10010 if you decide to go that route.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Also, don't our Jeeps call for 5w20? I'm still learning and have to admit I don't know the technicalities of changing oil weights. I just changed mine yesterday and can confirm that 2014's use a new filter, and at least near where I am they are really tough to find. I ended up going with the wix brand since I heard they were decent. It's WL10010 if you decide to go that route.
Yes it is 5w20 for the 2014. Says right on the fill cap.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,007 Posts
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/first-oil-change-thoughts-955058.html

^^^Read Post # 33

·
Registered
807 Posts
They changed in 2013 to 5w-20, something to do with trying to meet CAFE standard (at least that's what I've read). A lot of the 2013 still say 5w-30 on the cap probably cause jeep wanted to use up all the oil cap they had in stock. ;D

☞Sent from here☜

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info Old Dogger, that's good to know. I just reread my manual and I have no mention of 5w30 as an option, so I never considered it. I will have to look into this more and see what the differences are and what is going to be more suitable for cold weather now that winter is almost here.

·
Registered
287 Posts
You may also want to peak under the hood and engine cover just to make sure no oil is present... but would assume you would have already seen and smelled it if that was any issue.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not excusing Autozone but did you not notice the new one was not like the one taken out?

There are all kinds of parts that are interchangeable. This is the assumption that I was under.

As an update...FRAM Filter....installed....immediately solved issue.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts