Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sport,
My radio quit working and I found a used replacement , It looks exactly the same but when I plug it in the lights on the buttons light up for about five seconds and then turn off, and when I turn the jeep on it does not power up. Is there something you need to do to get it to power up if it is not the original radio from that vehicle?

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Probably from a vehicle with low speed bus

In the can bus vehicles it is not an key on/accessory-ignition signal that turns a radio on but instead a digital signal over the can bus

However dodge/Chrysler/jeep used two different interior bus speeds

Wrangler and nitro and journey and liberty and the mini vans used a high speed can bus

Grand Cherokee and commander and patriot and compass and avenger and Sebring and 200 and 300 and charger and challenger and magnum used a low speed bus

You must have a radio that matches the bus speed if your vehicle or it will not turn on

Read more here

Your original radio probably has a bad solder joint that is pretty easy to fix with hot air station

Read more here

Easy fix here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
If getting a replacement RES (130) radio besides needing high bus and if sat equipped or not and if has hands free uconnect buttons or not, there is also an evolution over the years

First out 2007 but the 07 08 and some 09 were longer with a step off in back and a failure prone drive

The late 09-11 have the black cover as seen in repair videos and no step off in back and no screw removal needed to remove the top

The 2012 and newer added anti theft so the phrase anti theft is displayed on face and when put in another vehicle they request 4 digit code before you can get past code request screen

Thus if replacing get high speed bus Sirius capable from late 09-2010 if you don’t want to have to get code from dealer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked with the guy I bought the radio from and it is a 2014 patriot. What do you think that they should be the same radio?

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
No a patriot uses low speed bus so will never turn on in your wrangler that has a high speed bus

Plus as it os 2012 or newer it will have anti theft and require a four digit code

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Do you have uconnect (hands free Bluetooth and voice commands)?

Do you have Sirius satellite radio?

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Uconnect was an option that lets you do hands free Bluetooth phone calls that are played over the radio and lets you control radio via voice like “call 298-2345” or “next channel”

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
You need one from a mini van (grand caravan or town and country) or a wrangler or a liberty or a nitro or a journey as they were all high bus

On eBay they are generally under $100

But cheaper to spend 2 minutes with a $30 Amazon hot air station and fix the original one you have

Around here a radio like that can be had for $20 at you pull it junkyards

A 6 dvd changer head unit REQ from a high bus vehicle is also plug and play but the 6 disc changer part tends to fail over time

A mygig nav RER or non nav REN is also plug and play if they came for a high speed bus vehicle

Your TIPM will never be able to turn on a patriot radio as it is low speed bus

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uconnect was an option that lets you do hands free Bluetooth phone calls that are played over the radio and lets you control radio via voice like “call 298-2345” or “next channel”

How would I determine whether it gas u Connect and is it important to know. As a little back information I just got the jeep last week and the radio did not work. So I am just trying to fill in the blanks
You need one from a mini van (grand caravan or town and country) or a wrangler or a liberty or a nitro or a journey as they were all high bus

But cheaper to spend 2 minutes with a $30 Amazon hot air station and fix the original one you have

A 6 dvd changer head unit REQ from a high bus vehicle is also plug and play but the 6 disc changer part tends to fail over time

A mygig nav RER or non nav REN is also plug and play if they came for a high speed bus vehicle

I tried to repair it. I saw the YouTube video. But it did not work. I tried it with a heat gun and I don’t know if I destroyed it or not. But it did not change the outcome when I plugged it back in.
Thanks

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Most sure way is look up buildsheet from jeep based on your vin

Pretty good way is look for 2 small microphone grills on top of rear view mirror

Fair way is see what is plugged in in back of radio
Gray 22 pin they all use has battery and ground and speaker wires and can bus wires
White 22 pin plug is only used for video/audio like rear screen and back up camera
-
Between is a place for a gray 10 pin and that is where radio connects to uconnect module
No 10 pin gray no uconnect

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Third and forth buttons across top of this radio (face and telephone icons) are for uconnect but many vehicles have radio with buttons but no module

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Would a security code for the antitheft be required if I got one out of a radio like you suggested from the model list above?

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Would the head unit out if a 2013 wrangler work in my Jeep. Same type ( non touchscreen
Yes but you would need the security code and some did and others did not have Sirius tuners
Easy to tell as written on face and only Sirius have the mustard color fakra connector in back
All have the white one for the AM FM antenna

1 - 20 of 32 Posts