Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at putting a hitch on my jeep to tow a small uhaul trailer (yes I have a hardtop) just wanted to get opinions on this hitch. I can get the hitch and wiring harness plug in electrical T connector harness for about $130.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I just installed a Curt hitch and wiring.
Four bolts, hardest part was removing the tow hook bolts.
They offer two versions, I opted for the one that bolts all four bolts through the bottom of the frame, the other has two through the bottom and two through the side.
Fits with stock bumper or after market bumpers.

Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 13408 Class III Receiver: CURT: Automotive

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Looks like mine.
Cannot remember what brand mine is but it was a simple bolt on and the t connector wiring is so simple.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
And I tow a 2K# trailer daily for the last 5 years.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I tow a 2K# trailer daily for the last 5 years.
yeah I wouldn't be towing much or even often. My 2.5 does good to pull itself with the 35's on it. Lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just curious, OP said he had a hard top. Does this mean something when it comes to towing? I only ask because I plan to do some light towing but prefer not to use my hard top except in the winter.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious, OP said he had a hard top. Does this mean something when it comes to towing? I only ask because I plan to do some light towing but prefer not to use my hard top except in the winter.
Just that Uhaul requires you to have a hardtop when using their trailers, I have no idea why though.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Any specific reason(s) to not go with the Reese hitch?
Not that I can think of.
I went with the Curt based on price and the way it bolted up. The hitch bar install is easy, getting the old rusted bolts out is the hard part. Also getting the the wiring harness apart to install the trailer wiring on the drivers was a bitch awkward position to work with two hands up in the tub laying on the ground.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just ordered the Reese hitch and t harness for the trailer connector. All in all $139. Hopefully shipping don't take forever. I ordered from advance auto with the TRT30 discount code. Saved $50 that way and free shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts