Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a used hardtop off a 2014 that spent some time outside before I got it so naturally it has nasty seals and needs a good cleaning. The paint is chipped pretty bad so I figured I would start this forum to present my progress in the event someone else is looking to do the same thing. I will be detailing the glass, attempting to touch up aggressive chips, and clean the inside as it has marks and grease everywhere. I will be replacing seals as it leaks. I will also be installing the headliner after all is done. I will post all progress here.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Starting off the rear windows had stickers that were on there for a long time with a razor blade and some goo gone I was able to get it clean. I also clay barred the windows and cleaned with window cleaner
Before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 2: the rear hardtop was not nearly as bad on the interior so you can use magic eraser with a non abrasive sponge in conjunction with water to get it pretty clean. There is still a bit of grease I will be using goo gone to get out I installed the headliner you should be using rubbing alcohol but given the current predicament all stores are sold out due to corona so I used cleaning wipes and needed to let it dry. I also did the side windows Current progress

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interior again, deep grease first alcohol wipe down, second goo gone let sit for a minute then wipe down and magic eraser. The results

And after

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My last hard top was pretty rough. Instead of trying to fix the many chips, I raptor lined the top. Came out great and super durable!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My last hard top was pretty rough. Instead of trying to fix the many chips, I raptor lined the top. Came out great and super durable!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It’s only the passenger freedom panel it’s pretty bad everything else can be touched up

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Being a bit excessive here but I refined all the hardware a bit just sanded off some rust touched up with a sharpie for the torx bolts

After

I also cleaned all the hardware on the rear wiper and the box back there. Next step is going to finish the freedom panels then I will Try to fix the paint that chipped off and then wire the hard top

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I popped out of rear wiper box and cleaned out

After

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took off the freedom panels, power washed them magic eraser goo gone etc

After cleaned and put up headliner

i also ordered the freedom panel warning sticker as it was only $6 and I want it to be exactly how it was from factory I need to go get it this week part no: 68212475AA I will confirm if this part is the right one once I get it

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also I cleaned all the seals and used the following to keep them in good condition on the windshield seal and the rear hard top seal. The freedom panels need brand new seals. I am going to give a good clean to interior windows replace freedom panel seals then I’m done with inside. It’s been raining but I’ll start on touch up soon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now this is the biggest chip everything else touched up nicely

It’s not 100% OEM but unless you get really close looking it looks fine

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For the touch up for small spots I just dab the PE because the OEM top has spots like textured paint but for lines I used a new dry sponge to recreate the texture look

1 - 20 of 34 Posts