229 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Brand new hardtop seal kit from Mopar it needed it some were missing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks guys! I still have some additional weather stripping to install. It came together pretty quickly

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The infamous hard top sticker I should’ve prepped a bit better for this you can see goo under the sticker

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Fellas, a few weeks later snow ice and rain and the paint looks great! I am going to do a freedom panel seals on the side and i will post here how to wire a hard top defroster and wiper!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Did you use just factory OEM hardtop paint to restore? Any prep? I read your part about the sponge, but I have quite a few scratches on mine that I would like to fix up.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did you use just factory OEM hardtop paint to restore? Any prep? I read your part about the sponge, but I have quite a few scratches on mine that I would like to fix up.
Yes so I used the Mopar hard top touch up paint pen, sanded within the chipped area, used the touch up to lay a base coat and then on the final coat I dabbed a sponge lightly and quickly to create a similar effect. On small chips you don’t need to do that but on line scratches and big areas it blends right in. There is a small difference in color if you’re getting close and looking for it but other than that it looks OEM

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm very interested in the wiring for the rear window defroster. Mine came with soft top and now has a factory hard top. Obviously the motor and defroster are on it but not wired. Don't care about the wiper but would like to have the defroster working. Looked at a video on how to install the factory wiring and quickly decided... FORGET IT! Is there a much easier way of doing without all the hassle. My jeep already has factory heated mirrors.....

·
Premium Member
6,739 Posts
The factory black hard tops are not painted. They do have a textured finish which may be the composite material they are made from. Factory black fenders/flares also have a textured finish but again are not painted.

Factory painted hardtops have a very smooth finish as to factory painted flares.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The factory black hard tops are not painted. They do have a textured finish which may be the composite material they are made from. Factory black fenders/flares also have a textured finish but again are not painted.

Factory painted hardtops have a very smooth finish as to factory painted flares.
Correct my JKU had a past Painted top this is textured

21 - 34 of 34 Posts