Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Maybe I'm not fully understanding the question. We get lower gears so that 4 low can be even lower.

4 low with 3.21s on 40" tires is not the same as 4 low with 5.38s and 40" tires.

I think you might be confused about the purpose of 4 low. Think of it like this. Your power drill likely has 2 gears, High and Low. Say you needed to drill a hole through steel and to keep from burning up your bit, you want to keep it slow. Would you run it in high gear, with your finger barely on the trigger, or would you run it in low gear and have full control of the bit speed?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
So I was wondering specifically about the offroad situations, isn't the 4lo enough, even with bigger tires?
No. You are also limiting yourself to one transmission gear, among many other reasons.

Story time, I had a buddy who went through multiple jeeps. He refused to ever regear anything.

His first one was a 2011 sport with 3.21s and 37s. He could only get over things by ramming his way through, and he broke lots of stuff because he couldnt crawl.

He traded that one for a 2014 Rubicon. A step in the right direction, but he left the 4.10s in it and put some 40s on it. Same story, he just rammed into everything, because he couldnt crawl.

I'm not talking about hard stuff either. 5.38s will just idle over the stuff.

The only people out there purposely going to higher gears are the rock bouncers, mainly because the whole point is to blast over stuff, and also because higher gears are a little stronger generally. Also the ultra4 guys because they are regularly seeing 120+

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Roger, thanks guys! So regearing would be both a performance and a convinience factor when offroading. 4lo would be limited to some specially tricky spots or sections, right?
If you are offroad, and dont need to go over 15 or 20, put it in 4 low. That's what it's there for.

Think about it like this, high gear is designed to do 90-100mph easily.

If the fastest you are going to go is 10 mph, you are using 10% of that. You are only using 1st gear, and your transmission is going to get hot fast.

When you are in 4 low, you get to use the whole transmission. Temps will not be an issue.

In Washington we had a lot of fire roads between trails, and we would shift into high. Besides that, it's staying in low.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yall are over here trying to reinvent things we have known to be true for many many years.

Speaking trail only, lower is better. Go drive something with 4.10s and then drive the same jeep with 5.38's and tell me what works better.

We arent just spending all this money putting super low gears and 2 speed transfercases in our rigs for the hell of it.

My front axle can technically run a 7.17 gear, but nobody makes anything lower than 5.38 for the GM 14 bolt.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I for one have enough fine motor skills to modulate gas and brake with more range than "gun or step on it". I get what you are pointing at here, but the the option for high crawl ratio is not wreckless use of pedals.

I have the (slight) benefit of having the optional 3.73 gear ratio, dunno how "bad" the stock 3.21 is.
I take it you have never wheeled anything with low gears.

It's not about your ability. We arent installing super low gears because we all suck. We are doing it because it works better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts