Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have received a lot of information about my jeep. Im sure someone out their has ran the same setup and I was wondering if someone could offer their experience. I have a 14 JKU sport s with the 3.6 engine, 2.5" lift, 35x12.5 BFG KO2's, 373 stock gears, and auto trans. It drives fine to me I get 18mpg around town, and 20 on the hwy. I have noticed when I go up long shallow hills the temp gauges increases slightly and I have a power drop. I also experience the same thing when I am pulling my Livin lite Quicksilver tent trailer (1300 lbs).

Some People tell me to regear to 4.56 or 4.88 and others say to get superchip trail dash2 and reprogram.

I am thinking that if I am going to unload the wallet with the house commanders approval. I might as well do it all at one shot.

My current plan: Regear to 4.88, Electronic lockers frt & Rr, and Traildash2. I know it will be expensive. Also maybe someday going to 37's

Can someone tell me what would be a good setup for a daily driver, that pulls trailer above and offroading.
I greatly appreciate your opinions and advice.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I'll give you my opinion until someone with more experience chimes in.

Did you reprogram the jeep for the bigger tires, which will correct the shift points?

Is this what you are planning to do with the traildash?

If you aren't happy with your performance going uphill and with towing I think you're going to want to regear.

If thinking about 37s then don't do 4.56 for sure but I think there's a lot more to considered at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
4.88's are perfect for 35's and towing. You don't even need a trail dash, an AEV pro cal will program the jeep for the gears and correct the speedo for the taller tires. There's little HP to unlock on the 3.6 with a tune.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I pull a 1400 lb trailer some and am on 4.56's. It does ok. For me, 4.88's are too low. If you spend a lot of time on the highway at speed, I'd go with the 4.56's. If your trailer is heavier and/or live in the mountains, might bump it up to 4.88. if 37's are in the future, go 4.88, and really get ready to empty the pocket book.

If you do a gear swap you will need a programmer of some sort, so my answer is....both. I just have the superchips flashcal/pac, whichever is the most basic. It will do everything you need. It is upgradeable to be able do engine tunes. IMO all the traildash gives you over those is a fancy touchscreen display.

Hey, at least you have 3.73.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Dont buy any tuner with the expectation of gaining any power form the motor. DO buy a tuner to fix your speedometer, calibrate for tire size, fix transmission shift points, and calibrate for your new gears. I would say just get an AEV procal or superchips flashcal. Also i would suggest 4.88s especially since you tow.

For what its worth, i have the same setup as you. 35 KM2s, 3,73 gears on an auto trans. My jeep acts the same way yours does, heats up as i climb hills and struggles for lack of power. The solution is 4.88s, which i will be getting done soon.

Also i would suggest the tuner sooner rather than later, correcting the speedo for the tires will help the transmission with its shift points and correct your odometer as well.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I've never been impressed by performance gains from a tuner on a normally aspirated gas engine. Turbocharged and diesel engines are a different story.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I am carrying 1200# of weight, on 35s 6MT and in the mountains of CO. I chose 4.88s. I dont have to switch gears as often climbing over passes. RPMs at 70 are about 26-2800

Much more zip around town.

·
Registered
898 Posts
My current plan: Regear to 4.88, Electronic lockers frt & Rr, and Traildash2. I know it will be expensive.
Since you're planning to get both a re-gear and a TD2, why don't you get the TD2 first? Load the Tow Tune and see how you like it. If that's not enough then gear up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts