Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have my 2016 JK regeared as it's now that miserable 3.21 coupled with my 6 speed manual. It really is annoying to be shifting so much because I live in a pretty hilly section of the state. Constantly down shifting and I don't like the clutch action from a dead stop either. The Jeep only has 26,000 miles and is squeaky clean underneath... like new really.

Found a good shop (lots of experience and recommended) and can get it done for about 1500 bucks. That price includes everything such as master kits, new carrier, gears etc. One question I have is they use Yukon gears which I know nothing about and was wondering if Yukon gears are a good product?

The price seems fair and it will take 2 days start to finish. I have to travel about 200 miles but it's well worth it compared to the prices I got from shops in Connectict. They were about a 1000 more expensive which would force me to live with this lousy gearing. I'm going to do 4.10's as this Jeep is not going to be used off road but might increase tire size next year. Right now it has just stock wheels and tires.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If you don't tow and you stay away from true 35 inch tires and you do a lot of highway, then the 4.10's will work. With a stick you could easily do 4.56 if you do tires in the 33 to 35 inch range. You will need a Pro Cal or something like it to set things with the gear change. You're going to love it.

Reactions: cthusker

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't tow and you stay away from true 35 inch tires and you do a lot of highway, then the 4.10's will work. With a stick you could easily do 4.56 if you do tires in the 33 to 35 inch range. You will need a Pro Cal or something like it to set things with the gear change. You're going to love it.
Yea I think that makes sense because I do tow a small dump trailer on occasion. Also gives more options on tire sizes should I go larger at some point in the future.

Have any idea how much it will lower my MPG with 4.56? Right now I average around 19 which is better then I expected.

·
Premium Member
2,103 Posts
You may want to think about adding a traction aid like a Detroit Trutrac while they are doing the gears.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Re gear time is a good time to think about lockers and aftermarket diff covers, and lube locker gaskets. You will just do it once and the new gears will be protected. When the 500 mile oil change for the new gears is done the lube locker gaskets make it easy and are re usable. Some will say that 4.88's are the way to go, I have no issue with that but it will spin the 3.6 faster and possible mpg impact. You are coming from 3.21's so you are really going to feel a difference with the 4.56's. Any MPG loss will be worth it in the performance increase. 4.56's will make it easier on the clutch. Enjoy.

Reactions: Cryptic

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As another CT Jeeper struggling with where to regear, what shop are you going with?
Going to a place in South Jersey called Globex in Toms River. It's worth an overnight stay imo compared to what I'll be saving in $$$$. They are super professional and have done hundreds of these jeep regears. They will even email you a quote showing everything being done plus the total cost. Again extremely professional people imo.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re gear time is a good time to think about lockers and aftermarket diff covers, and lube locker gaskets. You will just do it once and the new gears will be protected. When the 500 mile oil change for the new gears is done the lube locker gaskets make it easy and are re usable. Some will say that 4.88's are the way to go, I have no issue with that but it will spin the 3.6 faster and possible mpg impact. You are coming from 3.21's so you are really going to feel a difference with the 4.56's. Any MPG loss will be worth it in the performance increase. 4.56's will make it easier on the clutch. Enjoy.
Thanks. I'm going inquire what these upgrades will cost and see if it can fit within my budget. I truly HATE the way it's geared right now because it's ridicilous putting so much strain on the drive train and clutch imo.

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
Since you are driving 200 miles allow yourself extra driving time for the break in.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Coming from someone with Rubicon 4.10s and 35s, I still think this ratio is lacking. If I'm taking off from a stop up a moderately steep incline, I really have to abuse the clutch and go aggressive with the throttle to prevent stalling/bogging. With the stock tires it was probably fine, but 4.10s are sub optimal for 35s and a 6-speed.

Personally I plan to go with 4.88s, but in your case, I think 4.56 will be a good compromise to work with what you currently have, while giving you some headroom should you decide to go with larger tires down the road.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Since you are driving 200 miles allow yourself extra driving time for the break in.
Yes, like Leadnut wrote, give yourself some extra time for stopping and letting the axle cool down during the 500 mile break in period.
I did this re-gear mod and it is awesome. I do not plan on increasing tire size, so the 4.10:1 is great. I do use 6th gear alot more now then I did when I had the 3.21:1 gears. And actually the cruise control is now useable, which was a nice surprise.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
I ran 35s with 4.10 gears for a bit and did not like it overall. i regeared to 4.88s and i am so happy, both on the highway and off road. i sometimes pull out in second. my crawl ratio is awesome with 4:1 xfer case and 4.88 gears. With 33s you may be able to get away with 4.10 gears.

·
Registered
229 Posts
You may want to think about adding a traction aid like a Detroit Trutrac while they are doing the gears.
This!

If they are in there, you might as well get a little something extra done. I added a TruTrac in the rear and Aussie in the front, and I'm VERY happy, other than the clicking and popping in the front from the Aussie. But it was 1/4 the price of a selectable front.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My Rubicon came with 4.10 gears as well and it was great with the factory 32's. I installed 315/70/17 (35's?) and it lacks a bit, specially in 6th gear, so I also agree, you should consider 4.56, whatever MPG penalty will be well worth it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts