Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gearing to 4.88, currently on 33's but I'll be going 35s in a year or two when I'm ready. I'm throwing an ARB air locker in my D44 rear and I was curious if I should upgrade my axleshafts and spline count at the same time. From what I've read - yes - it's a good idea.

I saw this recommended on a thread but can't find too much info on it

Super 44 Kit @ Q-tec

It seems like an excellent deal as a 33 spline ARB locker can be had for $1000 depending on where you look. How are the parts that come with this kit, bearings and seals and what not. Should I look at making my own "kit"? Ideally I want to be able to run 35s locked without having to worry about giving it the goose from time to time

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Its good kit from what I understand. 35's should not give you an issue.. Just make sure who ever is doing the install has installed ARB's before. you might PM quadratec here on the forum, they will work with you on shipping costs from what I understand.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, a few locals offered to help me regear but they don't have experience with ARB's so I am leaning towards dishing out the money for good piece of mind. The shop I am talking to has quoted me for $850 for F/R or $700 if I bring the axle to them. Seems like a great deal

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
There are a couple ways to look at this I think...

Although not probably very likely unless you are doing something stupid because from what I hear Superior makes a SOLID product...what happens if you DO happen to bust an axle shaft on the trail? If you are with a good group of people, you may be lucky enough come across someone who has shafts with the stock spline count...but the chance that u find someone with 33 spline shafts is probably pretty unlikely. Same goes if you buy spares...u will have to buy 33 splines rather than pullin some stockers from a junkyard.

If it were me personally, I may consider getting chromoly shafts with the stock spline count. This way, you have a stronger shaft but not necessarily an oddball size that you wouldnt be able to get from a buddy or a junkyard if necessary.

I would probably consider the upgraded spline count if I was trailering my rig, only because then spares are a huge necessity.

Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like how you think but how well does a 27 spline shaft compare to a 33 spline made of the same material? Could either do 35x12.5 with ease and no worries?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Understandable but is that complete overkill for 35s?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts