Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Okay, so I plan to regear my 2009 JKU Sahara this summer to a 5.13 ratio. I have a Dana 30 in the front and a Dana 44 in the rear. So is all I really need to do is order the Dana 30 and Dana 44 ring and pinion sets then have those installed? Or is there other stuff I'll need?

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's better to have the shop order the parts, that way if anything happens they can't blame you for brining in bad gears.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Okay, so I plan to regear my 2009 JKU Sahara this summer to a 5.13 ratio. I have a Dana 35 in the front and a Dana 44 in the rear. So is all I really need to do is order the Dana 35 and Dana 44 ring and pinion sets then have those installed? Or is there other stuff I'll need?
You need gears and master install kits for both axles.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You should probably go to a professional and have them order the correct parts and do the work.
This. You might not even need a master install kit depending on how many miles you have. And you may or may not need new carriers depending on your current ratio. Go to a shop!

·
Registered
194 Posts
This. You might not even need a master install kit depending on how many miles you have. And you may or may not need new carriers depending on your current ratio. Go to a shop!
It would be pretty silly to install R&P without install kit. He's got a 2009. I just had mine done with 6000 miles on it and didn't even think twice about install kit.

Most shops, as previously stated, will want to order the gear sets and parts for you. Because of that, they will warranty both the install and the parts.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Talk to Robert & RWK Haus to get his thoughts on master install kits for low mileage builds. On a 2009 with 30k+ miles though it's probably beneficial.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
x2 on checking with Robert on parts.

Also - each axle has a range of gear ratios you may need to replace the carrier. I don't know the actual range, but you'll need to be sure your existing carrier will accept your new gear.

Think about lockers if your going to pay for gear set ups anyway, especially if you have to buy carriers.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have herd that 5.13 is the biggest gear you can put in a D30, In order to make it fit "they" had to make the teeth on the R&P thiner, I have herd that the teeth on the Pinon may chip off. If you currently have 3,21 gear you will need a new carrier. since youll already be paying for labor might as well add lockers. but lockers will add anywhere from 800 (front/rear) to 2000 (front/rear)

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is true for any gear set. The steeper you go the smaller the pinion gets. 4.88 is weaker than 4.56 is weaker than 3.73 is weaker than 3.21 and so on. @RWKHaus put 5.13s in my front D30 and said I will bend a tube before the R&P goes out (on a 2 door with 35s) we shall see. I do see a front d44 in my future though.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,051 Posts
R&P for both.
Carrier for the front is only needed, if you have the 3.21 ratio.
Master installation kits.
Lube Locker gaskets.
2.1 pints of gear lube for the front and 4.75 pints for the rear. Use 75w90 weight gear oil in both, but if you plan on towing then 75w140 in the rear.

I agree with some of the above comments. Just purchase the parts through your gear installer. This way everything is covered under warranty by one source (your installer). Make sure that they are a experienced gear installer and get a copy of their warranty in writing!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts