Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am currently in the process of installing 37" Patagonia's, however I might want the ability to switch to the stock tires when going on non wheeling long distance road trips. I am running on 3.21's but will be re gearing to 4.88. Assuming I just go into my programmer and switch to the smaller tires, is there any reason this will not work? I am assuming that my acceleration will be ridiculous and I will have to use the manual slap shift to control engine rpms?

·
Registered
704 Posts
That"s a huge difference in tire size.... Not knowing what year your Jeep is, I would say that it would be fine for the 37" tires and your engine would be way up on rpms with the smaller tires. You mileage would probably be in the toilet with the smaller tires so I don't see why you would want to put them on at that point. And your right your acceleration would be fantastic with the smaller tires, and it for sure would limit your top end speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That"s a huge difference in tire size.... Not knowing what year your Jeep is, I would say that it would be fine for the 37" tires and your engine would be way up on rpms with the smaller tires. You mileage would probably be in the toilet with the smaller tires so I don't see why you would want to put them on at that point. And your right your acceleration would be fantastic with the smaller tires, and it for sure would limit your top end speed.
2017, with the 3.6

I wonder if the 37's would provide better MPG then the stockers on a 4.88. I am definitely willing to try this and record the results, if anything for just shits and giggles..

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
What you said should work, but you will be turning around 3,000 rpm or slightly more (depending on actual tire size) with your stock tires vs around 2,600 rpm with the 37's.
That is a big difference but not quite what I would call "crazy".
I would be curious how it works out. I came close to doing that myself, but after installing the stock tires on one side the wife looked at it and said "no".

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
What you said should work, but you will be turning around 3,000 rpm or slightly more (depending on actual tire size) with your stock tires vs around 2,600 rpm with the 37's.
That is a big difference but not quite what I would call "crazy".
I would be curious how it works out. I came close to doing that myself, but after installing the stock tires on one side the wife looked at it and said "no".
Running 3k RPMs will not be very beneficial in mileage i dont think, even running the small and light stock tires. I run 3k with 37s and 5.38s and my mileage is usuall ~12mpg

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
I get better mileage on the highway with 35s and 4.10 then I did with stock tires and 4.10. 4.88 would definitely be worse on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,984 Posts
I switch back and forth from my tires I offroad with, which currently are Cooper 315/70-17 on AEV Salta rims (have also used plenty of Toyo 35's on same rims) and something like KO2 34x10.5-17 and currently Falken at3w's 255/80-17 on stock rims for DD and road trips. I like having two sets of tires. I have 4.10 gears which are about perfect for both sets. I think 4.88's would be too steep for me even with 35's, so with stock tires I would be hesitant to go that steep. You might look for some taller pizza cutters for DD.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
I appreciate good gearing but I would not run stock size on 4.88. I would prefer 5.13 for 37s, 4.10 for stock tire size.

Pick a size and gear properly. The difference is just too much imho. You cant have your cake and eat it too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts